Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

All other Modules /

Discuss all other Modules here.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

SilverStripe Authentication

Go to End

7 Posts   2742 Views

meyer0

Community Member, 2 Posts

2 November 2009 at 5:17pm

I'm new to SilverStripe, but I like what I see so far. I'm wondering if the External Authentication is a good module to use or if there is a better option. The site I'm working on needs to allow visitors register to see hidden pages. But there are also "special" visitors that can see "special" pages not seen by general registered visitors. Basically, three tiers of authentication in addition to Admin, > public / registered / special.

Any thoughts on this?

thank you, Kevin

Terry Apodaca

Community Member, 112 Posts

2 April 2011 at 4:51am

What was your solution to this? There are some nice Modules out there that can help, but I would like to know what your solution ended up being.

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

2 April 2011 at 9:13am

As far as I am aware, external authentication is used to sync your silverstripe users database with a thirdparty location (eg. LDAP).

IF you check out the forum module, that includes 'register now' functionality that you can either extend or duplicate.

Mo

Terry Apodaca

Community Member, 112 Posts

7 April 2011 at 5:31am

Is this Forum starting to get spam? SilverStripe? Should you be looking out?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

7 April 2011 at 11:58am

@Terry yeah it's getting a bit of spam on and off. We have a recaptcha setup for registering but will think about adding one for posting as well.

There's a long standing ticket to migrate forum to use memberprofiles (http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/5731) which has email validation for users that I imagine will kill most.

Mo

Community Member, 541 Posts

11 July 2011 at 10:38pm

Oh god, please don't add Captcha for posts as well! I have always had really good luck with the built in Math Spam protector. It is amazing how much spam that simple little question blocks.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

12 July 2011 at 1:52pm

Edited: 12/07/2011 1:52pm

Oh god, please don't add Captcha for posts as well!

Hah! with you on that one Mo, I'm thinking email verification for new users would filter 90% of the spam so going to try that first. Perhaps also use a captcha for a users first post?

Anyone implemented email verification and still had issues with spam?