Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Installation problem on Bluehost

Go to End

5 Posts   17765 Views

Josh

SilverStripe Developer, 65 Posts

14 December 2007 at 10:49am

Hey!

Successfully installed SS a number of times on my development machine - but problems installing on a Bluehost server.

Running the install script brings up the mod_rewrite and AllowOverride check screen.

I contacted Bluehost support and mod_rewrite and AllowOverride are enabled by default on their servers.

So I forced the rewrite check page to continue with the installation.

When it tries to redirect to the homepage is displays as follows:

ip.add.ress/~username/~username/~username/~username/~username/~username/~username/~username/?flush=1

I cannot figure out a way around this...

Cheers :)

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

17 December 2007 at 2:57pm

Edited: 17/12/2007 3:08pm

I'm not familiar with bluehost.

Do know what webserver is running? Apache? What version?
Probably not the issue... but what version of PHP is running?

You could try changing the installed .htaccess file, it might need altering somehow.

Carel

Community Member, 3 Posts

30 December 2007 at 6:30pm

Subvert,

Just in case you overlooked this, Bluehost needs to be told to move you to a server with PHP 5. Most of their servers are still on PHP 4

Carel

Josh

SilverStripe Developer, 65 Posts

7 January 2008 at 10:01am

Thanks Carel,

It turns out Bluehost servers have a max PHP memory_limit of 16MB. SS needs 20MB minimum.

Cheers,
Josh

RoaringOasis

Community Member, 3 Posts

29 January 2008 at 7:20am

Edited: 29/01/2008 7:20am

Josh,

BlueHost's default memory_limit is set to 32M. (at least on their PHP5 servers).
Also, FYI, BlueHost does allow you to create directory-specific php.ini files, in which you can define a new memory limit. You can also increase the limit by adding

ini_set('memory_limit', '32M');
to the sapphire/main.php file.

One can view the PHP config info by creating a blank file called "phpinfo.php" in your root www directory ('~/public_html/' on BlueHost), inserting

<?php phpinfo() ?>
into the file, and then viewing that file in a Browser.

I just tried installing 2.2.1 today, and encountered the Allowed memory error before it finished installing. I had to increase the memory limit to 96M ( trying other values in the 60's and 80's before doing so ) to get the install, and the subsequent flush, to complete successfully. And even after that, a vanilla install wont run without the limit set >= 48M . Until they can optimize their scripts, many shared-host users like you and I will likely find this a desired, but unattainable solution for our needs.