Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Licence Restriction

Go to End

6 Posts   1764 Views

3dkiwi

Community Member, 18 Posts

14 December 2007 at 9:10pm

I notice that the 3rd bullet point of the COPYING file included in the root directory of the expanded tarball states:

* Neither the name of SilverStripe nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
without specific prior written permission.

To me I read this as meaning that I cannot provide a link to SilverStripe website in the footer of the website I have generated using SilverStripe without getting written permission.

I was planning on having a:

Powered by the SilverStripe CMS

in my footer.

Is this the intended purpose of this restriction???

Jim

dio5

Community Member, 501 Posts

14 December 2007 at 11:54pm

I surely hope not, because I have done this too without asking and was planning on doing it again.

But I cannot imagine they wouldn't like being linked to, as it's only free advertising.

I recall that I even mentioned to Sigurd that I was having a 'powered by Silverstripe' and he didn't say I couldn't, only replied: 'cool'...

Maybe he can clear this out?

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

15 December 2007 at 2:35am

Edited: 15/12/2007 2:43am

What we like you to get permission for, is where you are stating that we're endorsing or promoting your work:

e.g. We would want to approve footers like:
"SilverStripe and Sigurd Magnusson love 3dkiwi's website".
"This heavily customised version of SilverStripe is brought to you by 3dkiwi and Sigurd Magnusson" (in which case any bugs or features you've introduced may be misattributed to me).

Whereas these are fine:
"SilverStripe was used to build this site, and 3dkiwi loves SilverStripe"
"This heavily customised version of SilverStripe was brought to you by 3dkiwi and based off the original SilverStripe system"
"Powered by SilverStripe"

Because these are not examples of us endorsing you, and not pretending your work is actually ours as a way to gain credibility.

Clearly, the more websites with "Powered by SilverStripe" footers, the more people learn about and trust SilverStripe, so we're dead keen on you doing that!

3dkiwi

16 December 2007 at 10:33am

Sigurd

That was what I was expecting and hoping the bullet point meant.

I could not see it making any sense for you to restrict "advertising" back to your website. Just the wording in the COPYING file seemed a little confusing for us mere mortals not being legal beagles and all.

While on this subject of footers and banners. Do you guys have any "official" icons, banners etc. that could be used for this sort of thing? Thinking of the small dokuwiki icon type of thing.

Jim

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

16 December 2007 at 3:07pm

Like the favicon of silverstripe.com? :)

More logos at http://www.silverstripe.com/media-assets/

3dkiwi

16 December 2007 at 3:26pm

That be the ones...

Cheers
J