Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Security Groups and Users Questions

Go to End

5 Posts   3994 Views

froburg

Community Member, 8 Posts

30 December 2007 at 10:52am

I'm trying to set up a site that includes a forum. There are supposed to be several forums that only the general public can see and post on, as well as one that is only available to members of group "Board Members." I can set up this functionality using the access tab of the "Board Members" forum in the CMS (allowing access to only the "Board Members" Group in the Security tab of the CMS). However, I would like my client to be able to administrate the CMS as well as be able to visit the Board Members forum. For example, my administrator account cannot see the Board Members forum because I'm not in the Board Members group. I either need to be able to have one user be in multiple groups (make my client a member of the Admnistrator group as well as the Board Members group) or be able to set page access to multiple groups (make my client an Administrator, but allow the Board Members group to be accessed by both Administrators and Board Members). Thanks!

Mark

zyko

Community Member, 66 Posts

4 April 2008 at 8:32am

Edited: 04/04/2008 8:33am

'I'm wondering too how to specify that a user is a member of multiple groups.
More Worse i can't even find out how to transfer a member / user from one group into another group within Silverstripe Security Center!
I've read a lot of dokumentation where they all say member can belong to more than one group,
so i excepcted to find an editable 'group list' on the member when editing one within Security Center.

But there's no such thing as a 'group list'.
Did i totally misunderstand member / group relations in Silverstripe, or am i just stupid,
or can this just be done in Code?

g
Helmut

ScottiouS

Community Member, 54 Posts

6 August 2008 at 5:32pm

To have one member in multiple groups you must go to the group name you want the member to appear in. Begin typing the User's first name in the field below the last entry. If you wait a moment a dropdown will appear with all the users beginning with the details you have started to enter.
Then select the user from the dropdown and then click the button on the far right and they will then be added to that group.

On another note... I think it would be great if SS could show you all the current users/members in the site regardless of group. Sometime you need to search for a user but are not sure what group they are in. This would solve this problem.

In addition to this, it would be nice to, once you select a member see all their associated groups, with the ability to add the user to multiple groups by user, rather than add multiple users by group. Just an efficiency enhancement.

Anyone else thought this would be good?

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

6 August 2008 at 7:28pm

Edited: 06/08/2008 7:35pm

Agreed - both points are perfectly valid and would be a good enhancement to the system.

TBH, the auto complete after filling in a name isn't really that good usability either. For one, it's not obvious that this feature exists first glance, and its also not a commonly used interface pattern so most users would only find it by trial and error.

If we had both points you specified as part of the Security system, then the table to view members in a group could simply be a read-only one showing existing members of it.

Adding a member to the group could be done by selecting one from a drop down field, sorted alphabetically by name. This drop down would also come under an obvious and clearly labeled header like "Add a member to this group".

Alternatively, a single member could be added to an existing group by checking a box on a Groups tab, which shows all existing Group records in the system. This would be done while editing the member's profile via the popup through the "Profile" link on the footer of the CMS, or as a popup on a table available on an "All members" listing, or any other instance that a member can be edited via the CMS.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Sean

ScottiouS

Community Member, 54 Posts

7 August 2008 at 9:50am

I agree totally with the usability issue of the ajax dropdown, very easy to miss.

There is also currently no option to add a user, who's not in any group. Sometimes you want to just have a user be able to login and see "logged in" user privileges.

Provided there was the "member editing" area as we are discussing then it should be easy to make this happen.

With all this said, this is a feature I will need shortly for one of my main sites and will look at putting some time into the creation of it, so any heads up on where to start would be appreciated. I did previously dive into the LeftAndMain class attempting to create a sliding second menu as is in the "Site Content" area used for "Page Version History" and "Site Reports". But this was quite cumbersome to recreate.