Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Used recommended web host SERVAGE but cant install Silverstripe

Go to End

5 Posts   4165 Views

dille4

Community Member, 14 Posts

24 January 2008 at 8:12pm

Edited: 24/01/2008 8:16pm

Downloaded latest version of Silverstripe (2.2.1), copied all files into my /www folder on SERVAGE Web Host and set everthing up until I got green light from the installer. (see allgood4.jpg and allgood5.jpg). I have chosen "Empty template" and started install ...

The first error I get (message appears only for a sec) is that "mod_rewrite" is not working, although the installer (allgood4.jpg) tells "mod_rewrite" is enabled.

Site gets refreshed and another message pops up (error4.JPG) telling me that I have to set up "mod_rewrite" and "AllowOverride". The problem is I'm using SERVAGE as a web host and can't setup http.conf.

After I kept going with the installer it ends where it all ends - with a white page and error 404.

I know there are so many threads about the problem here but I couldn't find one appropriate solution. I have chosen SERVAGE as a web host because it was recommended. I thought I don't have to worry about altering ".htaccess" and memory issues ... Hmmm!

At last here the ".htaccess" I have tried as well (but nothing)

### SILVERSTRIPE START ###

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(\.gif)|(\.jpg)|(\.png)|(\.css)|(\.js)|(\.php)$

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(.*)$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule .* sapphire/main.php?url=%1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

php_value memory_limit 64M
php_value register_globals off
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on
php_flag display_errors on

### SILVERSTRIPE END ###

PS: PHP_Safemode is off ...

I hope someone out there can give me a tip.

Cheers,
Tom

dille4

25 January 2008 at 1:10pm

It's getting strange now ...

After giving up installing Silverstripe 2.2.1 on SERVAGE I got another domain on Digital Space. Uploaded a complete fresh version on the host, set everthing up until I got green lights on every check.

As I expected I got exactly the same error messages as I got on SERVAGE. ("mod_rewrite" and "AllowOverride") and again I can't change anything as I'm not a admin of this host, only a user.

The funny thing is this time I didn't get the 404 error but instead the CMS login screen popped up. I typed in my Email (admin) and Password (password) as I setup before. Now the system doesn't except the login ...

What's wrong? Did I get a buggy install routine or is it just me ... I'm very confused!!!!

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

25 January 2008 at 5:44pm

not sure what the issue is here, but you may want to look at the list of hosts which are known to work

http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=suggested-web-hosts

dille4

25 January 2008 at 8:00pm

Hi Tim,

Servage.net is in the list of the recommended hosts. However, the Servage support team and I solved the problem. A line in the ".htaccess" file was missing: "AllowOverride All"

Here the content of the file:

AllowOverride All
### SILVERSTRIPE START ###

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(\.gif)|(\.jpg)|(\.png)|(\.css)|(\.js)|(\.php)$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(.*)$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule .* sapphire/main.php?url=%1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

php_value memory_limit 64M
php_value register_globals off
php_flag magic_quotes_gpc on
php_flag display_errors on

### SILVERSTRIPE END ###

The support team explained that it can take up to 3 hours before the server checks all ".htaccess" files in the upper subdirectories. After 3 hours I got an "Internal Server Error" 500. It seemed ".htaccess" has overwritten few ".htaccess" files in the upper subdirectories but not all. After that the line "AllowOverride All" wasn't compatible anymore and I deleted the line. I started the install routine without a single error.

LarcenIII

Community Member, 8 Posts

18 February 2008 at 7:32pm

I get that error 500 on all my SS sites hosted on godaddy.
I had to comment out a line that send a content-type header.

Only happens on refresh, with firefox...