Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Tutorial - blank content for all default pages

Go to End

2 Posts   1358 Views

JesusFreak

Community Member, 2 Posts

18 February 2008 at 3:09pm

I just did a fresh install of silverstripe and chose tutorial mode. When I attempt to go through the tutorial, I only see a blank page where the content should be. At doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tutorial:1-building-a-basic-site, in the "Using the CMS" section, it shows a basic home page with a tab for "main" and a tab for "metadata", but I don't even get these. I see tabs for "content", "behaviour", "reports", and "access", but no sub tabs or form input areas underneath.

Checking apache's error log suggests a possible reason for this behavior:

"File does not exist {silverstripe_home}/themes/advanced, referer=http://localhost/silverstripe-v2.2.1/admin/show/1"

Sure enough, the only folders in the themes directory are "blackcandy" and "blackcandy_blog". I unpacked the original tarball in a temp directory to make sure nothing was inadvertantly deleted and they aren't there, either.

I'm going to dive into the themes area of this website to see if I can find one called "advanced", but I wanted to call your attention to this issue in case it is a problem with the tarball process or in case that theme is not available from the website.

Environment:

CentOS 5.1 (free RHEL distro)
Apache 2.2.3
PHP 5.1.6
Silverstripe 2.2.1
MySQL 5.0.22

The install process did not complain of any problems (after a few setup tasks, including yum install php-gd, were completed) and ran successfully.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

JesusFreak

Community Member, 2 Posts

18 February 2008 at 3:52pm

I may have answered my own question.

A

cp -R {silverstripe_home}/jsparty/tiny_mce2/themes/advanced/ {silverstripe_home}/themes/
did not seem to get the job done. So I tried something else: I had been attempting to view the tutorial using Firefox 1.5.0.12 directly from the host webserver. When I use Firefox 2.0.0.12 from a remote client, all is well. Even IE 7 from the remote client makes SilverStripe happy.

So...any thoughts on the root cause of the problem? SilverStripe doesn't like Firefox 1.5.x? SilverStripe doesn't like to be maintained from its host server (this one seems very unlikely)? SilverStripe doesn't like Firefox on Linux? Perhaps it requires a plug in to be installed or activated? (Note: cookies, Java, and JavaScript are enabled.)

This one seems very curious.