Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Tutorial Issues with 2.2.1

Go to End

4 Posts   1281 Views

JonathanParker

Community Member, 37 Posts

3 March 2008 at 2:05pm

Edited: 03/03/2008 2:10pm

I am trying to follow the tutorials but I have the following problems:
1) From the start the published site contains menu etc and the start does not show the basic page that the tutorial suggests that I would start with I even have the sub menu on the about-us page before I have done anything. (See Img 02 attached)
2) Within the CMS I do not see any graphics as displayed within tutorial 1 (See Img 01 attached)
3) When I create the HomePage type and flush/build the database the HomePage does not show in the behaviors drop down.

Everything seemed to install with no errors, are there changes that I need to make so that I can follow the tutorials?

Regards.

Jonathan

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

3 March 2008 at 9:46pm

when you installed SilverStripe you get the option of installed it with the BlackCandy default theme that has all the menus etc all ready for your content. OR you can install with the tutorial theme. If you wish to follow the tutorial then reinstall SilverStripe and make sure you check the tutorial theme rather then blackcandy.

Also the CMS has had a decent redesign and redevelopment over the last 3 months and the tutorials have not keep up with that progress. You should be able to work things out and see the differences between 2.2.1 and the tutorials (and the many many improvements).

JonathanParker

Community Member, 37 Posts

3 March 2008 at 11:54pm

Dear Willr, Thank you for the reply. I did select the blank template for the tutorial during instalation with little effect to that which I reportd in my previous post. I had guessed that development had probably outpaced the tutorial as this seems to be a common floor within many open source projects.
I have unistalled, including all files and folders and done a totally fresh install and still I have the same problems. Are you suggesting that I also ignore the fact that the new 'Homepage' that is created within tutorial 1 also does not appear in the dropdown. I have rebuilt the database several times using db/?flush=1 etc many times. As I am also an acredited MySql developer I have also dropped the database and rebuilt it from scratch, but still with no effect.
I am willing to put a lot of my time and effort into understanding the operation of your framework. I run a web development & hosting company that is about to launch (April 2008) and would really like to offer the CMS facilities of SilverStripe to all of my clients. As an experienced PHP developer who has submitted to both Zend & NuSphere over the last 10 years I am also looking forward to assisting the community with module development and anything else that I can do to help. I know that I am having problems at this time, but I have a gut feeling that SilverStripe is built upon up to datetechnologies and really would like to resolve my initial problems. In short, if you can point me in the direction of any further resource that may help then it would be appreciated.

Regards.

Jonathan

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

4 March 2008 at 9:07am

regarding the HomePage issue - make sure the class name is the same as the file name and the file is within the mysite/code/ folder. Not theme/code like some people end up :P. All the PHP code for the site should be in mysite/code and all the xhtml / css in themes/thethemename/.

You could also download the files from the tutorial and try those and see if your homepage turns up.

Another way is where you have created the HomePage.php file - edit the Page.php thats in there and see if the changes come through (add a db field for example then db build again and see if the database picks that up.