Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Memory Limit

Go to End

3 Posts   1746 Views

Dig

Community Member, 33 Posts

25 March 2008 at 2:12pm

I realise there are a number of posts on the memory limit, and the recommended limit still seems to be 32MB... BUT I've found a number of memory issues with the limit set so low.

My host has a 128MB limit on PHP scripts and v2.2.2rc2 works well on it, but on my local development server when I had memory set to 32MB it was touch and go on page refreshes and DB build regarding memory errors.

I no longer have problems but 128MB is a high limit for most users and probably has a detrimental effect on the number of silverstripe users. Are there any plans to optomize memory use?

Nick

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

26 March 2008 at 1:28pm

The short answer is "yes", but these problems are notoriously difficult to address.

Also, it's only some requests that have high memory requirements - usually ones that are recaching a piece of data - so the impact on a high traffic site isn't as large as you might think.

ScottiouS

Community Member, 54 Posts

16 June 2008 at 2:43pm

I'd just like to bump this issue up a notch. I had to move a site from SS this past weekend because of the memory issue specifically. A site which had over 1000 blog articles it took a disturbing amount of time and memory to load the /admin/ area each time (Peaked at 220MB RAM usage but once loaded runs fine).

I can only assume that there must be nested queries to load the site nav on the left as even if I do a "SELECT * FROM SiteTree_Live" on this site it takes nowhere near the time that loading the admin does.

I think you guys do a great job, I just hope this issue gets addressed as I feel it's the one crippling thing stopping SS from being taken up for seriously larger sites, and for people with limited resources.