I have written a basic script that:
- uploads a zipped copy of silverstripe (except mysite folder)
- copies any files you want to keep from your current site to a save location
- moves the old directories of silverstripe out the way (e.g. sapphire, cms, etc...)
- unzips the uploaded silverstripe version into a save palce
- moves the folders contained in this zip to the root folder
- asks the user to load /db/build/?flush=1 to finalise the update.
If you are interested in these files then just email me or reply to this post.