Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Clean URL's

Go to End

22 Posts   25919 Views

CodeGuerrilla

Community Member, 105 Posts

27 June 2008 at 7:57pm

Hi I'm new here and not trying to create any flame wars, but couldn't you just implement a Intercepting Filter on the front controller (I know this may take some work), then make a filter for the nested url's?

This way you could use it or not and would also allow lots of other cool stuff.

WACT has some good information on such things:

http://www.phpwact.org/pattern/front_controller
http://www.phpwact.org/pattern/intercepting_filter

evren

Community Member, 37 Posts

14 October 2008 at 7:16am

Edited: 14/10/2008 7:24am

I belive that SS must keep going like this way. Current system is perfect.

Maybe makes some people angry but just my opinions :)
Let me tell why.

Current rendering of URL is meaningful for visitors and also has the benefits of SEO.
And my opinion is this is much more better cos with this way you are completely free do assign any word for any page. And also allows to give easier URL's to people.

The MOST IMPORTANT PART IS to change and move the pages freely inside the site tree without changing their address!!! I have more than 150 pages and I know the need for moving page but also I know the addressing and search engine trouble after that.
Thanks to SS. I love the new way.

Another example, I have a file manager module with iframe in 3.rd menu level in my site. Dosent need and also musnt be on homepage.
But I can give people an URL like this www.mysite.com/file
Isn't that nice?

Or create acommunity area under a sub category give people around pages or galleries, but still be able to give people URL's with their usernames etc.
www.mysite.com/dennis

Or a logon screen for SS itself or ext application. Do you want to be forced to put logon page to the main page. Or a top level menu category to be able to use an URL like www.mysite.com/login

Or think commercial. Advertisements, promotions...
www.mysite.com/win-a-bmw
www.mysite.com/2009offer
www.mysite.com/promotions
I'l not prefer www.mysite.com/products/new_summer/promotons :)

But I also think over hierarcial URL's. what does it offer more than this?
Not SEO, please no :)
Not customer pleasure, who cares. Think that they care, is there a matter?

Only think that I belive is being able to understand the category of the page that I visit. Dont need, I see it on the menu.

Anyway, please do not swear me :)
And just a request from development team, is it possible to keep old style URL if there will be an update on this?

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

14 October 2008 at 9:11am

I don't think it has to be zero sum solution ; having automatic nested URL's doesn't mean we'd have to drop the flexibility of picking your own URL.

I still like Sam's idea of just having SS build a nested URL's for you , with the option of changing it , if needed.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

14 October 2008 at 9:46am

I believe how it is going to be implemented when the nested url feature gets moved into the core release ( currently being worked on in the separate branch) is that it is going to be disabled by default. Eg keep the current system. If you want to use the longer urls then you can turn it on / off in the config file. Thats how I think its going to work anyway

Liam

Community Member, 470 Posts

14 October 2008 at 12:37pm

That's fine with me. I'd prefer it to be on by default, but it's really not that hard to do it, so it really isn't a big deal.

Will it be making it into stable core 2.3 or 2.4?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

14 October 2008 at 1:05pm

2.4 At the earliest.

Go to Top