Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Setting SMTP server

Go to End

9 Posts   13639 Views

rabrol

Community Member, 6 Posts

13 May 2008 at 11:51am

Hi all.

Maybe I am missing something here. Where do I set the details of my SMTP server to allow forms to be sent?

Incidently, the form appears fine and once submitted it takes me to the thank you page, but no email is ever received. I don't recall ever setting the smtp server details anywhere....

Thanks!
Rob

rabrol

14 May 2008 at 1:14pm

No ideas?

Design City

38 Posts

14 May 2008 at 2:09pm

Rob,

As far as I'm aware, Silverstripe uses PHP's send mail functions to send mail - therefore no SMTP settings need to be set up within SS itself. If you're having trouble sending mail with PHP, the answer will depend on the system you're running. The PHP docs are a good place to start looking for some answers, otherwise provide the community with some more details about your setup and OS to see if someone can help.

DesignCity

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

15 May 2008 at 1:22pm

Yes, we just use the PHP mail() function.

This is the page that you should look at: http://nz.php.net/manual/en/mail.configuration.php

rabrol

15 May 2008 at 4:49pm

Hmm. Thanks for the replies.
Unfortunately my web host doesn't provide email sending from the web server - only though the mail server! They recommend using smtp to connect to the mail server they provide. Is there any way I can do this in SS?

I don't have access to the php.ini file as I am on a shared server.

Rob

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

15 May 2008 at 7:57pm

I would suggest that you talk to your host about it. Ask them to reconfigure their server to get the PHP mail() function working. This is a really basic requirement that every host should support if they're claiming to support PHP.

I'm not sure if there's an easy way of getting linux PHP to talk to another SMTP server.

cerelac

Community Member, 34 Posts

21 May 2008 at 3:26am

Hi.

I have a problem with the mail server configuration, when using it with the forms.
I've read the posts below, but I don't really know where can I configure the mail server settings.
I'm an unexperient user, so if you can help me, I would appreciate.

I'm currently using SilverStripe at localhost, but I have a mail server with domain, so I would like to know if it is possible to configure the mail server while testing at localhost server (using Apache).

Best regards.

nomen

Community Member, 52 Posts

3 June 2008 at 8:35pm

Edited: 03/06/2008 8:36pm

Hi:
I wrote a post explainig the way i do it, because I was in the same situation.
See my post.

Hope this helps.

Go to Top