Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Accessing an External Database

Go to End

5 Posts   3841 Views

ian

Community Member, 7 Posts

24 May 2008 at 11:12am

Edited: 24/05/2008 11:13am

I want to create a Graph Obect (which will have fields for titles, x-axis heading, y-axis heading... etc) that uses an external database to pull the data.

Can I simply mix in some normal php database calls into my model?

I will probably make an ExternalDatabase class (similar to ExternalAuthenticator)... but just wondered if anyone had tried this before, and what caveats I should be aware of.

Also, does MS Sql Server work as the primary db for SS? I read that there was some work going on with PDO.

Regards,
Ian

Internet Marketing Services GmbH

Community Member, 6 Posts

25 May 2008 at 10:01pm

subscribe

ian

25 May 2008 at 10:52pm

To answer the second part of my post about MS Sql Server... it seems that SS does support mssql. I found some info at http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=database-support.

I'm still curious about any suggestions for pulling data from an external database.

ian

4 June 2008 at 2:30am

For all those others interested... this post looks like a valuable place to start:

http://www.silverstripe.com/extending-hacking-silverstripe-forum/flat/120

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

31 July 2008 at 1:43am

Subscribe ..

Did you find a proper way of achieving what you want ? I'm going to need this in the near future as well (connecting to another external database to fetch data for use in Silverstripe)....