Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Different sidebar for each page

Go to End

4 Posts   2382 Views

Colt

Community Member, 3 Posts

27 May 2008 at 11:27am

Hi Everyone,

I am developing a site which has many different products. What I would like to do is add a sidebar to the right hand side of the page, and in this sidebar display a list of the "best sellers" so to speak.

This said it would be greatly appreciated if I could get help with the following:

1. how to add a sidebar on the right hand side of the page.
2. have the content of the sidebar change when a different product/page is selected.

Thanks for your help.

Bruce B

Community Member, 164 Posts

27 May 2008 at 6:37pm

Adding the sidebar is a CSS/HTML issue rather than a CMS one. There are lots of sites offering help on how to set up the design you want. You can then drop your SS code into it.

The content is something else - that should, ideally, be automatically extracted from the context. Are they arbitrary links or do they refer to children or siblings of the page?

cheers
bruce

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

27 May 2008 at 8:25pm

Pretty simple really! Add a Text field to the Page in the CMS - Look at tutorial 2 on how to add fields to the cms. then like bruce said, its only a matter CSS / Design to position the sidebar somewhere. If your using Blackcandy I can send through some ideas for adding a right hand column

RobertM

Community Member, 26 Posts

30 May 2008 at 3:35am

I'd be interested to know if it is possible to have differently structured HTML according to page type for a sidebar. For instance in the same way as using the layout folder, I tried to create another folder and use $FolderName like $Layout, but that didn't seem to work.

Any suggestions?