Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Display page in popup window

Go to End

5 Posts   4988 Views

eguru

Community Member, 6 Posts

27 May 2008 at 1:54pm

Hi,
I am wondering if there is a way to display content in a popup window similar to the way the Profile popup is used in the admin section.

A specific example of what I want do is based on ArticlePage and ArticleHolder from the tutorial. What I would like to do is display a list of articles on a page based on ArticleHolder and when the user clicks the ReadMore... link the ArticlePage is displayed in a popup window rather navigating to the ArticlePage.

Is it possible to do this?

Thank you in advance for any help.

dio5

Community Member, 501 Posts

27 May 2008 at 6:54pm

Hey,

the profile popup in the backend uses an extension of complextablefield, take a look at that if you want this in the content section of the cms, it's pretty common. It lists data in a table, and you can edit/view this in a popup, just like the profile (but only in the cms!)

However I think you're talking about having some kind of popup in the frontend. AFAIK there's nothing prefab for this, as it's more a javascript thing than a sapphire/cms thing, but there are a lot of javascript frameworks out there that make building this a lot easier, I'm thinking of YUI and Mootools amongst others...

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

27 May 2008 at 8:31pm

We've done this internally on a few projects using jQuery + fancybox - http://fancy.klade.lv/ or thickbox http://jquery.com/demo/thickbox/ which both allow html content in a popup. I recommend fancybox. has a nicer design :D.

Although using jQuery breaks some client side form validation and it does some werid things to page comments (due to conflicts with prototype) so you should disable prototype (on the frontend) using Requirements()..

Other then that I bet theres a prototype or mootools version that would do the same!

eguru

28 May 2008 at 2:42am

Hi

Thanks for replying. Following your suggestions I have been investigating methods using javascript and came across a lightweight window library on dynamicdrive.com called 'DHTML Window widget' and an extension called 'DHTML Modal Windows'.

Using this library it is possible to populate a hidden div on a page using an ajax call and then make the div visible. This seems to meet my needs nicely.

Now to try and port this into SilverStripe. Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers

eguru

28 May 2008 at 1:56pm

Greetings

If anybody is interested I have just been experimenting with the 'DHTML Window widget' and it works well. Doesn't seem to cause any problems for Silverstripe.

Thanks