Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Understanding silverstripe and rewrite? (install problems)

Go to End

2 Posts   1672 Views

hallz

Community Member, 2 Posts

31 May 2008 at 3:19am

Edited: 31/05/2008 3:19am

Hi,

I am having trouble getting silver stripe to install and run on my web host. (question at end of post)

I have been looking for solutions for the last week (really want to get it working it looks fantastic) and here is what I have come up with:

My host looks like it has all the requirements (apache,mysql,mod_rewrite) but:

- My host doesn't support provide the "$_SERVER['SERVER_SIGNATURE']" php variable (turned of for 'security' i think) which means the installer can't detect the web server type.Is there any reason it couldnt use $_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE'] or both?

- My host doesn't have/support the php function 'apache_get_modules' (possibly this means they run php as cgi?). This is my main problem I think as the installer cant make the .htaccess.

- My host advertises silverstripe support yet it won't install ! (www.siteground.com) I logged a support ticket and I got the kind of response you expect from a dirt cheap web host.

So my question is where can I get information on how mod_rewrite (.htaccess) needs to be setup in order for silverstripe to work correctly? Is there some technical documentation I can look at on how silverstripe handles requests?

Thanks, David.

hallz

Community Member, 2 Posts

1 June 2008 at 1:05am

Oops, this looks like what I'm after: http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=execution-pipeline

Still if anyone else has experienced this problem before some pointers would be greatly appreciated.