Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Default language for single-language sites

Go to End

3 Posts   2222 Views

cinek

Community Member, 17 Posts

31 May 2008 at 6:06am

I'm working on a single-language site where the language is Polish.

The proposed "i18n::set_default_lang('pl');" or "i18n::set_default_lang('pl_PL');" added to _config.php has no effect on the site, it only affects the Translatable class. There is however the i18n::$default_locale member variable that seems to be used no matter what I call i18n::set_default_lang() with.

Presently I have changed i18n::$default_locale to pl_PL and the site works as expected (e.g. with Polish validation messages in forms) but this clearly is not the proper way of doing this.

Is this a bug? If so, should I file a bug report somewhere? Maybe i18n::set_default_lang function should be patched to set the i18n::$default_locale variable in addition to what it does?

On a side-note: I really like silverstripe's approach to building CMS sites, it's a bit rough around the edges, but generally a very nice system :)

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

6 June 2008 at 9:14am

its a known inconsistency that dealing with locales vs. languages is a bit messy at the moment - we've got an offer from the mailinglist to help cleaning this up. i18n was a (time intensive) GSOC contribution, without this additional manpower we can't implement too much new stuff unfortunately. depending on your skill-level, you can have a stab at it yourself if you like (please contact me for more details)

cinek

Community Member, 17 Posts

6 June 2008 at 9:33am

The first thing is that I see that after upgrade'ing to 2.2.2 things have changed :)
I'm still unable to configure this properly but in a different way.

What I need for the site I'm currently working is to have localised form validation messages.
This requires three things, as far as I can see:
1. Setting correct language for the site to obtain properly localised messages.
2. Fixing field labels in server-side validation (see http://www.silverstripe.com/site-builders-forum/flat/80566, I have also sent patches).
3. Internationalisation of sapphire/javascript/Validation.js or turning off javascript validation alltogether.

I have done 2 and I think I know how to achieve 3 and haven't looked into 1.

For this site I also need to be able to set form tab titles. Currently I have a simple workaround - proper fix might be related to i18n or not, that's why I mention it.

I will solve these issues either with messy hacks :) or proper fixes that I would contribute back to the project. Unfortunately I don't have much time to work on these issues in a broader spectrum.

In short, yes, any details will be welcome. You may contact me by e-mail or please direct me to a developer forum/mailing list or some other means of communication.
Thanks.