Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Confused with Side Navigation Menu Structure

Go to End

6 Posts   3779 Views

AndyWiltshireNZ

Community Member, 35 Posts

8 June 2008 at 8:13pm

Edited: 08/06/2008 8:15pm

Hi,

I am trying to create a side navigation menu similar to the following:

index
company
 - info1
 - info2
products
 - product1
 - product2
contact

I have tried several coding methods and controllers for the last 3 hours, but cant get it to display the way I want, as follows:
1. While on the 'index' page, I only want the menu to show 'index, company, products, contact'
2. When on the 'company' page, I want it to display 'index, company (info1, info2), products, contact'
3. When on the 'products' page, I want it to display 'index, company, products (product1, product2), contact'

These must all display as shown above with each subpage listed under its parent page, ONLY IF on that parent page. The latest code I have been trying is as follows, but it displays all the sub-pages no matter what page parent I am on...

<% control Menu(1) %>
    	<li><a href="$Link" title="Go to the $Title.XML page" <% if LinkingMode %>class="$LinkingMode"><% end_if %>$MenuTitle</a>
			<% if Children %>
			<% control Children %>
				<li class="sub"><a href="$Link" title="Go to the $Title.XML page" class="$LinkOrSection">$MenuTitle</a></li>
			<% end_control %>
			<% end_if %>
		</li>
	<% end_control %>

If someone could show me the correct code to use, it would be much appreciated, thanks in advance guys!

Andy

spenniec

Community Member, 37 Posts

8 June 2008 at 9:22pm

Edited: 08/06/2008 9:23pm

Hi Andy,

You need to test if the menu item you are currently on in the Menu(1) loop is the current page by adding the page control
<% if LinkOrCurrent = current %>
around the <% if Children %>
You may also want to enclose the children list in a ul so you can have greater control when styling and then class the ul.

<% control Menu(1) %>
   <li><a href="$Link" title="Go to the $Title.XML page" <% if LinkingMode %>class="$LinkingMode"><% end_if %>$MenuTitle</a>
<% if LinkOrCurrent = current %>
         <% if Children %>
<ul class="sub">
         <% control Children %>
            <li><a href="$Link" title="Go to the $Title.XML page" class="$LinkOrSection">$MenuTitle</a></li>
         <% end_control %>
</ul>
         <% end_if %>
<% end_if %>
      </li>
   <% end_control %> 

AndyWiltshireNZ

8 June 2008 at 9:32pm

Ahh perfect, that worked exactly how I wanted it, thanks spenniec! I am a graphic designer by trade, so this coding is only a secondary skill for me :)

I do actually have one other question: I want to display all the level 1 and 2 pages within the content section of my home page along with the latest pages. I have a widget that does just latest pages in the sidebar section, but thats just for the sidebar. Looking through the tutorial I think I will have to create a new homepage type, so that this information is only displayed on that front page. Basically I want to be able to show an outline of the site content and latest content within the main homepage content section. Hope that makes sense. Thanks again!

saimo

Community Member, 67 Posts

8 June 2008 at 9:43pm

This is the menu that I use at simonlindgren.pcriot.com:

Menu1.ss:

<% if Menu(1) %>
	<h3>Menu</h3>
	<ul id="Menu1">
		<% control Menu(1) %>
			<% if LinkOrSection = section %>
				<% if Children %>
					<li class="$LinkingMode"><a href="$Link" title="GÃ¥ till sidan &quot;$Title&quot;">$MenuTitle</a>
						<% if ClassName = BlogHolder %>
						<% else %>
							<% include Menu1_Level2 %>
						<% end_if %>
					</li>
				<% else %>
					<li class="$LinkingMode"><a href="$Link" title="GÃ¥ till sidan &quot;$Title&quot;">$MenuTitle</a></li>
				<% end_if %>
			<% else %>
				<li class="$LinkingMode"><a href="$Link" title="GÃ¥ till sidan &quot;$Title&quot;">$MenuTitle</a></li>
			<% end_if %>
		<% end_control %>
	</ul>
<% end_if %>

Menu1_Level2.ss:

<% if Children %>
	<ul>
		<% control Children %>
				<% if Children %>
				<% end_if %>
			<% end_if %>
		<% end_control %>
	</ul>
<% end_if %>

This system can be expanded to support more levels, though Menu1_Level2.ss will need some editing for that. It is not really as good as it can be, but it works fine for my so far only two levels.

AndyWiltshireNZ

8 June 2008 at 11:01pm

Thanks saimo. After implementing spenniec's code, theres actually one little problem with it, when I navigate to the subpage, that page disappears from the menu too.

company (level1) - when on the company page, the info1 subpage is displayed correctly.

company
 - info1

info1 (level2) - when on the info1 subpage, the info1 subpage disappears from the menu, when it should remain to highlight the current page.

company

Thanks in advance,

AntonyJ

Community Member, 1 Post

9 August 2008 at 9:35pm

If you want to keep the 'parent' menu displayed when you navigate to the final 'child' pages, use;

rather than <% if LinkOrCurrent = current %>.

This should give you the desired results??!