Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

german translation, tinymce, doc

Go to End

5 Posts   2302 Views


Community Member, 2 Posts

13 June 2008 at 12:45am

Edited: 13/06/2008 12:45am

Hey there,

i got a lot of issues, but let's try it step by step. Some might disapear on its own.
My first point is about your translation webpage ( For the german translation the shown status is green (complete), but I had my look at the cms/lang/ Files and compared de_DE.php with en_US.php, telling me there is a lot of work to do. Alright I said, let's try the svn build of the languages, because maybe the 2.2.2 stable has an old version included. But generating a new language pack doesn't work.. The websites states a memory leak.

Quote from
"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 24 bytes) in /sites/translate/www/sapphire/core/model/MySQLDatabase.php on line 438"

So what to do? I got some errors (variables shown instead of text) using the cms for the reason of missing language informations.

My second point is about TinyMCE. 2.2.2 serves with version 2, but this version causes a lot of trouble for me, because of ajax bugs. Since there is version 3 out it would be great finding a way to use the new version with SilverStripe. Is there anybody that edited his cms-files und could serve them to us? How long will it take for the next SilverStripe version update with TinyMCE3? And yes I did a bunch of search requests.

My third point is that I've got the feeling that the documentation is at many points uncomplete and it's quite hard to find the right workaround for a problem. Very slowly I'm starting to understand the whole code, but I don't think this is the way it should be. Giving just a simple example: Some days ago I searched for a way to modify the head-title. Okay, there was a documentation telling me: use $MetaTags(false) and define the title yourself. But hey, what's about the metatitle information defined for every page of the cms? Okay, so I ran some searchs and found the following variables: $Title and $MenuTitle. But that is not what I searched for... really depressed I started studying the core code and found out: there is another variable called $MetaTitle. You might say: Hey, that is really obvious it is called the way it is called. But for me English is a foreign language and I don't came across the idea you might think it's obvious. Sorry for that. So it might be a good idea to provide a list including all core variables that are avaible for use, serving a short description, such as the one given for configuration, though this one isn't quite clear in some points (e.g. I didn't understand how to use the password encryption the right way).

My final point is that though I got my problems and SilverStripe seems not to be really stable and final I really love your work and gonna use it in future for my websites. I used a lot of other cms before all having their pros and cons including rails (being very good, but requires ruby server), but none of them got a such easy and beautiful admin interface. This is an important fact for me, because development shouldn't take as long time as the usage of a website revision.

So thanks guys for your work and answers on this post.



Community Member, 2 Posts

13 June 2008 at 11:07am

Sad nobody got any answer for me, but less see what brings the future.
I got another problem that has been discussed sometimes in the forums too, but there was no solution up today.

My website should be multilingual, okay so I make use of i18n, but I'd like to translate some variables too. For example the website title should be different for different languages, because I use 2 different domains for it. I tried a lot ways including _t("..") and global $SiteName, but all of them didn't work. I need to define a new variable that can be changed for different languages, but the language information is only avaible after Session:: begin. The solution has to do with the mysite/lang/ files, but I don't get the way how to do it right. Some help appreciated.

Henk Poley

30 Posts

19 June 2008 at 3:32am

I bumped into the same thing a while ago:

Could somebody from the dev team give this some prio?


Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

21 June 2008 at 6:35pm

> But generating a new language pack doesn't wor
We recently uploaded a lot of entities, which pushed the memory requirements over the edge - thanks for noting, its fixed now.

> How long will it take for the next SilverStripe version update with TinyMCE3?
We've got a ticket for this:
Which improvements are you specifically referring to when asking for the TinyMCE3 upgrade? What "ajax errors" are you seeing? We have to pick our battles, so it'd be good to get some compelling reasons why this version is worth upgrading to.

> For example the website title should be different for different languages, because I use 2 different domains for it
You can override the MetaTitle() method in your Page.php which returns the page title, which gets automatically picked up by $MetaTags in your Simplest way would be to switch between different langauges in this method.


Community Member, 791 Posts

21 June 2008 at 9:40pm

Don't forget that this is an open-source project ; although Silverstripe (the company) is doing most of the development , the community is free contribute.

There is an option to add messages to the documentation , by adding your tips about the header meta-data to the docs, you can prevent someone else the same frustration and help improve the docs.