Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

javascript is not evaluated in right-side CMS panel

Go to End

2 Posts   1492 Views

karo

Community Member, 6 Posts

21 June 2008 at 2:02am

Edited: 21/06/2008 2:04am

hi

I'm trying to add GoogleMaps feature to client's CMS.
I'm using both maps module and my own classes.

I have everything working, except one problem, which i cannot get around for days already.
For example, i'm successfully using GMapField class to add points to database. I'm using it in a DataObject pop-up window.

The problem is, i cannot make it work in normal CMS pane (Main tab).

When i (re)load the whole CMS, the map is there.
But when i click on (another) page in the tree on left-hand side, displaying another site "page" (in my case a wrapper for a map object), the google map doesn't show.
I realised the reason is that GMapField is a javascript-generated "field", and javascript doesn't get evaluated when right-hand pane (Main and other tabs) is reloaded. It is evaluated only when the whole CMS window is (re)loaded. In pop-up it works always because it's an iframe, with a freshly loaded document each time.

So i wrapped the map JS code into a function, and introduced a button to call it; in order to execute the loaded JS in right pane.

The result? I always get the same map, regardless of which map was clicked in the tree. And the map is the one which was active when CMS was last reloaded.

In other words, same sh*t - JS got evaluated (and variables assigned values) only on window load; not on right-pane refresh.
And JS in the refreshed pane is just dead text.

Can someone please help me solve this in any way?

karo

Community Member, 6 Posts

21 June 2008 at 3:56am

NOTE:
at first i thought Ajax (via prototype.js) was used to load CMS's right pane; so i set evalScripts:true as a default in prototype's Ajax options object.

When it didn't help i found out it's not how it works. On CMS's site tree branches there's just normal A HREF tags.
But i see that although a link may be e.g. "...admin/show/16", the URL in browser stays the same as it was, and just the content pane is reloaded. Sounds like Ajax but it isn't.

If i would understand how this works, it might help me with my problem.

So any explanation on this mechanism is also greatly appreciated!