Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Multiple Editable Areas on a Single Page

Go to End

4 Posts   34004 Views

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

24 June 2008 at 2:48am

Hi,

How in Silverstripe do you enable multiple editable areas on single page?? This "$Content" variable seems to represent ALL the dynamic content in the template. This cannot be true! I tried including another template in order to separate them in the CMS and this doesn't work either as "$Content" assumes the same value since both instances occur int he same page. How can I have MULTIPLE instances of "$Content"??? Help!

Thanks,
Garrett

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 607 Posts

24 June 2008 at 9:03am

If I am understanding what you are after correctly, you need to create a new HTMLEditorField for your page type in the getCMSFields() method. Like so:

function getCMSFields() {
   $fields = parent::getCMSFields();

$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Main', new HTMLEditorField('MyField', 'Label for my field'), 'Content'); // The last argument will place your new field above Content.

return $fields;
} 

If you no longer need the main Content field, you can remove it by adding $fields->removeFieldFromTab("Root.Content.Main","Content"); in that method before the return $fields; line.

Cheers
Aaron

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

24 June 2008 at 10:59am

Have a read of the second tutorial - this covers adding extra fields to pages. Basically to add on to what aaron said, theres 3 steps

1 - Add the field to the Database

Open up mysite/code/Page.php and in the static $db = array() add a field with the type HTML Text. So it would look something like below. After you add this run yoursite.com/db/build?flush=1 to rebuild the database.

static $db = array(
   'SecondContent' => 'HTMLText'
   // insert extra fields here
);

2. Add the field to the CMS so you can write content! - Just as per the last post

// Add this method under your static $db array bit.
function getCMSFields() { 
$fields = parent::getCMSFields();
$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Main', new HTMLEditorField('SecondContent', 'Second Content')); 

return $fields; 
} 

3. And last step is to add the variable $SecondContent to wherever you want to render the content in the template!

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 607 Posts

24 June 2008 at 11:06am

Open up mysite/code/Page.php and in the static $db = array() add a field with the type HTML Text.

static $db = array(
'SecondContent' => 'HTMLText'
// insert extra fields here
); 

Oops, yes forgot that step. It's a must.