Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

What are the right steps to move silverstripe from Linux to Windows box?

Go to End

6 Posts   3110 Views

Charles

Community Member, 2 Posts

29 June 2008 at 11:51am

I am trying to move all the stuff including silverstripe and mysql data from Linux to Windows. What are the right steps to do this? These are what I did:
1. Copy all the files within mysite directory to the counterpart in Windows box.
2. Reinstall Silverstripe there
3. Export and import Mysql data

However, all the pages under Silverstripe CMS in Windows box lost the customized PageType, going back to the default one "Page".

Thanks.

Phalkunz

Community Member, 69 Posts

29 June 2008 at 12:24pm

Edited: 29/06/2008 12:42pm

I think step 2 is not neccessary. If you did so, make sure you export all the data from the database on linux and tell mysql you want to overwrite all data in the new database when you import the data into the new database on windows.

It would be easier if in step you create a new database only and then in step 3 you just export and import all the data into the new database.

Charles

Community Member, 2 Posts

29 June 2008 at 12:48pm

No..... not working..... it complains I am browsing pages that are not found.
I think somehow Silvertripes gets to talk with Mysql in a normal way, direct copy of it from Linux to Windows won't make the correct linkage..

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

29 June 2008 at 1:06pm

Linux vs Win MySQL is the issue probably. Linux is case sensitive for tables and windows is not (or the other way round?!?). I dont know if theres a easy way to get round this when exporting / importing the database as Ive never had to do it but a couple people have done it by hand :P

Grayzag (aka ajshort)

29 Posts

29 June 2008 at 6:26pm

I can vouch for what willr says, . On *nix, MySQL tables can contain uppercase/lowercase, while on windows only lowercase. The only way that i know to migrate between these is to open up your SQL dump and manually edit all the tablenames to lowercase. Then you can import this into your windows MySQL DB, and it should all work fine.

Phalkunz

Community Member, 69 Posts

29 June 2008 at 9:32pm

What willr and Grayzag said is right. I didn't think of it at all. I would like to add another point. Mod_rewrite (clean url) can be a problem depending on a web server.