Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Translation problems (especially in Turkish)

Go to End

4 Posts   2593 Views

erhan

Community Member, 6 Posts

1 July 2008 at 7:08pm

Hi,

I signed up to the translation project and started immediately to translate but the common problems for the translations to Turkish came up soon.

I will try to explain the problem with an example:

The order of words in lots of phrases in Turkish are different.

For example, if the "date" is a column in a table and you want to sort table by this column, you simply say:

"Order by date"

In Turkish, same phrase is:

"Tarihe göre sırala"

I can write down the relations (not translations!) between words in two languages as

Order => sırala
by => göre
date => Tarihe

"date" means "tarih" but there is a suffix "-e" to make the same sense and it comes to the first place in the phrase and therefore should start with a capital letter (if it is required).

In translation server only the "Order by" part of the phrase are given and it cannot be translated as "göre sırala" to Turkish because it will be "göre sırala tarih" when it is shown in the frontend with the name of the column. It can be solved by translating it like "Sırala: " and the result in frontend will be "Sırala: tarih" but it is actually saying like that "Order by criteria: date".

The simple solution is ofcourse,

"Order by %s"

It solves many of the problems, not all! :) but we can leave it with a capital letter problem because it is an i18n issue, not a SS issue.

Some texts which have the same issue and solutions:

"Welcome to the" => "Welcome to the %s"
"No images found in" => "No images found in %s"
"Change to" => "Change to %s"

I cannot make a whole list of them but the general rule should be as follows:

"If there is a preposition in the text, use %s"

I like SS and want to give a chance to make it my primary CMS as a developer. i18n and l10n are important topics to spread it as well as the number of built-in and community supported extensions and documentation.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

1 July 2008 at 10:48pm

Hi erhan, And Welcome to the Forums!

Thanks for the feedback on the i18n stuff! Constructive feedback like this is always welcome!. Theres quite a bit of work to be done with i18n you can see some of the tickets against it on open.silverstripe.com

i18n and l10n are important topics to spread it as well as the number of built-in and community supported extensions and documentation.

Amen. The SilverStripe core team try and write as much documentation and extensions as we can fit in but the community support, even for pointing out things like this is very much a critical part of any open source product!

erhan

Community Member, 6 Posts

2 July 2008 at 3:44am

Thank you Will,

I am trying to find a new developer-friendly CMS and really impressed with SS.

I can put my effort to this project because good things need effort.

Good luck guys!

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

3 July 2008 at 11:25pm

Hey erhan, i'm managing translate.silverstripe.com - feel free to drop me a line if you need help.

> I cannot make a whole list of them...
thats exactly what we would need though :) - somebody to compile incomplete references without placeholders (optimally the full entity-name and proposed english placeholder text).
if you're proficient in PHP (beginners skills should be enough), you can also change the sourcecode yourself and submit a patch - see http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=i18n on how to get started. you could also help by editing this wiki page to make it clearer what to watch out for when creating new entities as a Silverstripe developer.