Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Regular Forum Error (On this site)

Go to End

6 Posts   1552 Views

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 607 Posts

2 July 2008 at 1:01pm

Hi all,

Has anyone ever had a problem with the following senario that I have just worked out on the Silverstripe forums here?

1. Come to forums, not logged in.
2. Find a post
3. Hit Reply
4. Prompt for login
5. Login
6. Redirect to new post page
7. Press post
8. Error: Lost the last one, and it doesn't happen every time. But it is just a single line error.

I'll post the error when I come across it next. Just wanted to check if anyone else has had an issue with it.

Cheers
Aaron

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

2 July 2008 at 4:11pm

You some times get that error if you take too long to make a post on the site. At the moment you get a fatal error if you take longer then about 10mins to write your post

Double-A-Ron

2 July 2008 at 4:46pm

Hmm, I doubt I'm taking 10 mins for any post generally, but perhaps. I'm not the best time keeper.

I'll post here when I see it again. Usually comes up every couple of days for me.

So is this fatal error a noted issue in the forum module? Or an uncaught exception of some sort?

Cheers
Aaron

Double-A-Ron

2 July 2008 at 4:47pm

Edited: 02/07/2008 4:48pm

Wicked, I got destracted from that last post and got this error on submission:

Fatal error: Call to a member function setField() on a non-object in /sites/ssopen/www/forum/code/Forum.php on line 647

That one probably would have been 10mins.

Aaron

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

2 July 2008 at 6:25pm

yep thats the one. I believe its because what happens is we create a ForumPost object when you hit reply (rather then after you write reply to get the image uploader working) so one of the issues is that you have lots of empty ForumPosts objects when people hit reply and walk away or leave etc so its set to delete itself if its not got been saved after a x amount of time.

So I think we had it set at like 10/15 mins. We can push that up as no real sideeffect im guessing, few me posts hanging rounds about all

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

7 July 2008 at 1:22pm

I've increase PHP's session lifetime from 24 minutes to 2 hours; let's see if it helps...