Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

"501 Not Implemented" in CMS

Go to End

4 Posts   2671 Views

Anatol

126 Posts

3 July 2008 at 2:58pm

Edited: 03/07/2008 2:59pm

Hi,

I just set up Silverstripe on a web server. Everything went well and there were no error messages during the installation process. However, when I am in the CMS (backend) and I click on any link in the left hand menu (site tree or assets folders, etc) I get the following error message:

"501 Not Implemented
The page you are looking for cannot be displayed because a header value in the request does not match certain configuration settings on the Web server."

Does anyone what that message means or what could be the problem or configuration setting the error message mentions? The web server software is Apache (BSD). Thank you!

Cheers!
Anatol

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

7 July 2008 at 1:16pm

Hi Anatol,

SilverStripe doesn't generate any 501 errors, so this is most likely to do with your webserver configuration. I suggest you talk to the sysadmins.

It might have something to do with the browser you're using too.

Anatol

126 Posts

8 July 2008 at 9:41am

Edited: 08/07/2008 9:42am

Hi Sam,

thank you for your reply. The error message is probably generated by the web server. I also checked the error log and it comes up with this message:

[Tue Jul 08 09:17:54 2008] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] ModSecurity: Access denied with code 501 (phase 1). Match of "rx (?:^(?:application/x-www-form-urlencoded$|multipart/form-data;)|text/xml)" against "REQUEST_HEADERS:Content-Type" required. [id "960010"] [msg "Request content encoding is not allowed by policy"] [severity "WARNING"] [hostname "domain.name.co.nz"] [uri "/new/admin/getitem?ID=1&ajax=1"] [unique_id "m9hWIdIFMgMAAHemQAUAAAAI"]

I found a few messages in other forums on error 501. It often appears in combination with Ajax. Usually the problem seems to be that the request method via the Ajax script (e.g. prototype) is set as 'post' but it should be 'POST' or 'get' but it should be 'GET'. I tried and replaced all lower case 'post' and 'get' in the javascript files with upper case ones but the result did not change.

I am using Firefox 3 and IE 7 (Windows). I can use other Silverstripe installations on different servers without any problem.

If anyone had a similar problem or can point me to the right direction I would be very grateful. ModSecurity seems to cause the problem but I don't know what setting would need to be changed.

Cheers!
Anatol

Anatol

126 Posts

8 July 2008 at 11:09am

Hi,

the problem is solved. Unfortunately I don't know about the details but it all has to do with an implemented "ModSecurity thing". The hosting company changed a setting and now the Silverstripe CMS works as expected.

Cheers!
Anatol