Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Patch: Usability Fix for Site Tree

Go to End

11 Posts   5878 Views

elijahlofgren

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 222 Posts

17 May 2007 at 3:15pm

Currently, the Left Frame is not very usable when large font sizes are used or when it is resized.

This was mentioned in the Usability Report:
"Users may be confused by the appearance of the left hand frame if they try to adjust its width. R: Make sure that the legibility of the frame contents is maximised when the frame width is adjusted."

I have posted a link to the patch along with screenshots of the changes here:
http://www.elijahlofgren.com/silverstripe/patches/sidebar-fix/sidebar-fix-patch-walkthrough.html

I spent a long time trying to fix this many other ways (i.e. trying to just CSS changes), and finally found this solution which seems to be the best way to fix the problem.

I hope you find this helpful,

Elijah

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

17 May 2007 at 4:02pm

Great work on this - thanks for the very thorough explanation of the issue :-)

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

17 May 2007 at 4:15pm

This has been merged into the stable branch, and will appear in the nightly builds soon.

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

17 May 2007 at 4:47pm

You're the patch master :-)

Keep up the great work!

elijahlofgren

31 May 2007 at 1:41pm

Edited: 31/05/2007 2:12pm

Hi Andy,

I'll try to look into it soon. I need to switch over to the SVN version first.

- Elijah

Update: Night draws near. I'll try to investigate further tomorrow. If I don't get to it tomorrow, it may not be until June 6th when I will get to it because I have a family reunion from June 1st to 4th and most people are not leaving until June 5th.

elijahlofgren

1 June 2007 at 7:29am

Adding:
"height: 23px;"
back to cms/css/cms_left.css fixes the problem of the other sections being broken. The only downside is that there is a different background color behind some of the links when the left frame's size is reduced. That's not a problem.

I'll plan on eventually creating a new patch that addresses the "Site Content", "Newsletters", and "Security" sections. However, if you want to fix the Site Content without breaking the other sections, just uncomment "height: 23px;"
in cms/css/cms_left.css

Until later,

Elijah

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

1 June 2007 at 9:31am

Yeah, the background missing is caused by <li> elements having the float: left CSS attribute, and the container <ul> doesn't have this - so the background contents gets erased. If you add float: left to the <ul> it fixes that problem, but the other sections are still broken - this potentially could take a while to fix properly.

Cheers,
Sean

elijahlofgren

1 June 2007 at 1:49pm

Sean, Thanks! I was able to get the background color to work correctly by floating the ul left.

Andy, I've created an updated patch that fixes the resizing issue for "Site Content", "Files & Images", "Newsletters", and "Security" (those are the only sections that I have on my install).

During my testing, this new patch worked flawlessly in Firefox 2, IE 6, and IE 7 for each of the sections.

Patch (not indented for clarity of seeing what I changed):
http://www.elijahlofgren.com/silverstripe/patches/sidebar-fix/Fix-sidebar-resizing-problems-non-indented-trunk-r36331.patch
Patch with indentation adjusted:
http://www.elijahlofgren.com/silverstripe/patches/sidebar-fix/Fix-sidebar-resizing-problems-indented-trunk-r36331.patch

Let me know if you find any issues. I'll be busy with my family reunion starting tomorrow so I may not be able to respond until June 5th or 6th. ;)

Thanks,

Elijah

Go to Top