Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Moving webpages to a commercial hosting website

Go to End

17 Posts   10270 Views

carola

Community Member, 12 Posts

12 August 2008 at 4:00pm

A final entry to update this thread. I am based in New Zealand, so web host info is local to NZ.

My website is finally working on the net, but moving it there has been a very frustrating exercise compared to creating it. Many hours were spent re-installing SS on the webhost, and then trying to upload the database. Every possible mistake was made, and in the end I gave up on Net24 and turned to Easyserve a recommended host in NZ on the SS website.

This is not to say that Net24 was the problem. They could have been OK if I had known what I was doing, it just became embarrassing asking for help which I could tell they felt I should have allready known about.

Nick from Easyserve has been very helpful, actually installing SS, and my database that I sent to him by e-mail in the end, plus fixing other nuisance problems. I'm disappointed however that I couldn't do this myself in the end. I would like to recommend him for Kiwis.

I know a live website installation tutorial is coming, and this is essential for those of us who just want to get in a car to drive from A to B, without having to get out along the way to try and fix various parts of it as we travel. My job is at B, not in doing the process of making A get to B.

Willr is doing the job and I'm sure it will help us simple users. Right now until it comes out I would not recommend going further unless you have quite a lot of internet knowledge and confidence.

Problems have occurred in four areas:

Using FTP to transfer your files to the live site, what and where
Installing Silverstripe on the Web host, what to put in the installation criteria to make it work.
Transferring your database(the personal stuff you added to the theme), I failed on that one!
Watch out for cache problems!

Many thanks to Willr for his assistance by e-mail advice.

Go to Top