Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Change to CalendarDateField

Go to End

6 Posts   2056 Views

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

23 May 2007 at 11:02am

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a change to CalendarDateField, so that the calendar is accessible by clicking a calendar icon to the right of the field, rather than the field itself. This is because it's currently really hard to type in a value without using the calendar.

My question is - should this be implemented as an optional part of CalendarDateField, turned off by default, or should I change the default behaviour?

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

23 May 2007 at 8:32pm

I say this should be default. I've already thought the calendar popup is a bit unusable, especially as you said Sam - it's not clear that you can fill in the field yourself.

My two cents. :-)

Sean

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

23 May 2007 at 9:47pm

Im leaning towards having it default :D. Funny I always thought there was meant to be a icon to the right as the calendar textbox seems shorter then the others..

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

24 May 2007 at 12:45pm

I vote "default"

Additionally, almost all of the time I use the date field, I am choosing today, or something very close, so it would make sense for the value inside the textbox to show today. I think having this as default too, but with the ability to disable the day's default.

As it stands, I sometimes find myself writing 2006 and wondering why it doesn't show up :P

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

27 May 2007 at 12:00pm

I've made it the default, and put a note for Andrew to include backward-compatability issues in the 2.0.2 changelog.

Sig - defaulting to today can get tricky when you want to clear the value of the field out. In short - it's one of those things you wind up swearing at in lots of situations. The calendar has today highlighted, so setting to today is a 2-click process.

Matt

Community Member, 86 Posts

30 May 2007 at 11:56pm

Would be cool to get some simple strtotime working in here - we had quite an advanced implementation in SilverStripe 1 that is probably not entirely necessary here, but changing words like 'today', 'tomorrow', 'yesterday', the days of the week etc would be cool.