Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Editing .ss files

Go to End

6 Posts   10187 Views

AlexHayden

Community Member, 4 Posts

5 August 2008 at 2:58pm

Edited: 05/08/2008 3:08pm

What program/s are people using to edit .ss files?

I am trying to develop a site on mac osx 10.4, the problem i am having is that when i open the .ss files in textedit there is no code just a bunch of words that textedit hasn't filtered out.

The other option is to open the .ss file in dreamweaver, but of course dreamweaver doesn't recognise .ss files. If i rename the .ss files to .html i can open and edit them but when i change them back to .ss and recompile the site all the coding gets lost and all i get is something like "your site here, your tagline here"

All i am trying to do right now is to get rid of the sitename h1 tag in page.ss but going forward i want to be able to change more.

I know there is already a post about getting rid of the sitename bit (Here) but the solution that was given didn't work for me.

chur
-Alex

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

5 August 2008 at 3:06pm

Edited: 05/08/2008 3:17pm

Dreamweaver should be able to edit ss files. See the dreamweaver page on the wiki - http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tools:dreamweaver.

If your on a mac we use TextMate which is $39 or something. You should be able to edit ss files with most standard Text editors - a good list of tools is on the smashing mag website - http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/05/07/35-useful-source-code-editors-reviewed/

Quite a few of the mac ones are paid software eg TextMate and BBEdit but are good. You could try Smultron which is a free source code editor.

- Changing the H1 - did you install SilverStripe with the 'blackcandy' option or the 'tutorial' option if you did blackcandy then you need to open themes/blackcandy/templates/Page.ss in TextMate (or you text editor) and find the <h1></h1> and edit

If you chose the tutorial option the file you need to edit is in tutorial/templates/Page.ss

Make sure after you edit and save you add ?flush=1 to the URL so you go to http://yoursitename.com/?flush=1

AlexHayden

Community Member, 4 Posts

6 August 2008 at 10:29am

Success!

The Dreamweaver fix didnt work, something about the MMDoctype file being uneditable. But I downloaded Smultron and it s all good.

Thanks for your help willr

-Alex

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

7 August 2008 at 10:11pm

Or use the Aptana Studio. It's a eclipse base IDE, quite pleasant to work with imho. The community edition is free.
Or if you're allready using eclipse, you can download the aptana studio plugin for eclipse.

It doesn't recognize .ss files out of the box, but you can simply add this feature by:
Opening the eclipse preferences
Under "General" select "Editors" > "File Associations"
There you add a new File Association for "*.ss" and set the associated Editor to "Aptana HTML Editor".

You'll have to open Files by using the integrated File explorer though. It doesn't automatically open .ss files when they are opened from the OS.

chrisbassist

Community Member, 1 Post

14 November 2008 at 8:02am

I'd just like to say thanks to willr

i was having problems editing the .ss files, trying to use GoLive (a bit old i know...) and textedit on mac... which seems to work with SOME of the files but not all of them... great to finally be able to see all of the code, easier editing that way

Smultron was just what i was looking for, cheers

Nuttydo

Community Member, 16 Posts

15 November 2008 at 4:56am

I use Haxial Text edit

http://www.haxial.com/products/textedit/

V basic and every time you close you have to go through hard disk to get to your files but I create shortcuts to the files. Never let me down.