Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

how nice does SilverStripe play with jQuery?

Go to End

12 Posts   9635 Views

jam13

121 Posts

27 September 2008 at 2:43am

yeah im aware of noconflict but in an ideal world there wouldn't be the overhead of loading prototype to begin with! ;) (especially if you dont plan on using it at all!)

Unfortunately I don't get to play in the ideal world :( - we're doing stuff with Magento at the moment which has Prototype+Scriptaculous so deeply baked into the both the backend _and_ frontend that it's next to impossible to use another js framework with it. I've spent most of this morning trying to resolve a conflict between JQuery and their version of Scriptaculous.

Personally I can't wait to see SS move away from Prototype :).

alexweber15

Community Member, 6 Posts

27 September 2008 at 2:50am

sounds pretty awful man... the reason im holding off SS for now is exactly that... i'm so deeply entrenched in jquery that it doesn't make sense to learn any of the other libraries atm

artlung

Community Member, 10 Posts

4 October 2008 at 7:09am

I switched over a bloated frontend site that used Prototype+Scriptaculous to jQuery and the only change I had to make was to use

jQuery('#my-id')
instead of
$('#my-id')
in my JavaScript. In this way jQuery is not in conflict, as jam13 indicated. Validation code on custom forms and Security/login works fine.

alexweber15

Community Member, 6 Posts

4 October 2008 at 10:01am

great how jQuery works will with others but others not so nicely with jQUery :)

I guess that with last week's Public Announcement that both Microsoft and Nokia are adopting jQUery as their framework we should see an even wider adoption :)

Go to Top