Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Mysterious XML Parsing Error

Go to End

5 Posts   2060 Views

KendallB

Community Member, 5 Posts

12 August 2008 at 6:28am

I've run into a bit of a dead end on something. I have two servers, one development (Mac) and the other production (Linux), both running Silverstripe on Apache. On Linux, Firefox returns an XML Parsing Error on a number of my pages, but cannot specify where the error is.

It will say the error is located at Line 1, Column 1 and the error is: 208f (or some other hex value). I've attempted to remove the <?xml> header at the beginning of the Page.ss, however Firefox will still return the characters to the top of the screen as if it was part of the output.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Kendall Buchanan

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

12 August 2008 at 11:31am

Do you have any unclosed tags or strings in the PHP files that are echoing out?

KendallB

Community Member, 5 Posts

13 August 2008 at 5:15am

Thanks a lot for the response.

I really don't think so, because I can artificially create an unclosed tag error with the parser. On the development environment, it works perfectly given identical content on the page.

I can reproduce it by putting an anchor in the $Content section of a page that points to an outside URL on the production site.

If I turn off ContentNegotiation, it will just put a hex code at the top of the page, and a 0 at the bottom of the page. Is there a way this could be caused by Apache on the Linux box?

Cynic

Community Member, 3 Posts

21 October 2008 at 4:04pm

I'm having the same problem, only with the admin logon form.

2148 is being prepended before the start of the document, and 0 is appended after the closing </html> tag.

Has anyone figured out exactly what causes this? It's certainly only cropped up over the last day which means some tiny little layout change I made (without testing?!), or my users that have started adding content recently.

-k.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

21 October 2008 at 4:14pm

These issues are almost certainly related to the following (solved) ticked: http://open.silverstripe.com/ticket/2529

This will be fixed in the next release, but the actual solution is quite simple if you follow the instructions at the bottom.