Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

file permissions for assets folder (chmod, chown, chgrp)

Go to End

Anatol

126 Posts

12 August 2008 at 12:53pm

Hi all,

I know this is already a widely discussed topic. However, I would just like to find the best solution for it:

The 'assets' folder usually requires write permissions of the web server (e.g. the 'apache' or 'wwwrun' user). It's no problem to set that up. But what is the best setting to both upload files via FTP (e.g. as a user called 'webadmin') AND upload files using the CMS (as the 'apache' user) without changing the permissions of the 'assets' folder?

Currently my asstes folder settings are

drwxr-xr-x 5 apache apache 1024 Aug 8 12:40 assets (755)

With these permissions I can upload with the CMS only.

When I change this to

drwxrwxr-x 5 webadmin apache 1024 Aug 8 12:40 assets (775)

the upload works in both ways. I am not a file permission expert. Is the setting above a security risk?

An installation on another server for some reason works with a chmod 755, but I don't know why:

drwxr-xr-x 5 webadmin psacln 1024 Aug 6 14:12 assets

'psacln' I think is some user for the Plesk control panel. I never changed the file permissions on this server, not even for the Silverstripe installation, and everything works perfectly.

In brief: What is the best chmod/chown/chgrp setting for the assets folder to enable both FTP and web interface uploads?

Cheers!
Anatol