Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Check for existing email when adding members in cms

Go to End

3 Posts   1429 Views

ryanwachtl

Community Member, 46 Posts

21 August 2008 at 1:54pm

Hello,

I've ran into a little situation and would appreciate some direction...

The SilverStripe site I am working on has over 500 members in the members table. Spread across 3 groups (not including email lists). I have implemented a simple registration form that checks for existing email address's when a new member signs up. The registration form works good.

I noticed that when adding a member in the CMS, if the email address matches any in the member table that member is then replaced by the new submission, but there is no warning or confirmation of the replacement.

What would be the preferred way to add a prompt in the cms that alerts if the email address is all ready there. Something like..."That email address already exists, continue updating member" Yes,No

Thanks

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

21 August 2008 at 2:04pm

Hmm I thought it would do that. Well at least I thought if you tried to add a pre existing email it just wouldn't let you. Instead through an error..

You might like to raise this as a ticket on open.silverstripe.com

ryanwachtl

Community Member, 46 Posts

21 August 2008 at 4:33pm

I haven't been working with SS for too long, but from what I understand members can belong to many groups. This makes sense because of the groups created with a newsletter. So I can understand the need to add a member (to a group) that already exists. I don't see enough separation between adding (creating new) members and assigning them to groups though. From my experiences when you add a member via the cms table (or cms popup) it will CREATE the member if they don't exist (no email match) and then write them into that particular group - and if the member exists already (email matches an existing email) it UPDATES the member and writes over everything in their member role.

I'll have to try this in some different SS setups and see if I can get a better idea of whats going on.