Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

"Formulas" Module

Go to End

2 Posts   1060 Views

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

27 August 2008 at 11:00am

Hi all,

I'm figuring out how a 'formulas' extension could best be built.

At the moment, I'm thinking of something like:

A 'Formula' abstract class that extends 'DataObjectSet'. This class can have any number of methods that represent particular calculations which might be done recusively on each object in the set, or summarizing particular properties in the set.

It would have some standard methods such as:

applyToAll('qty', 'sum')

which would return a value based on applying the method 'sum' to the an array of all property 'qty' of child objects

and

applyToEach('diameter', 'area')

whilch return an array of values based on applying the method 'area' to each property 'diameter'.

Just looking for thoughts and ideas about how to improve it etc. if I build it I'd like it to be as versatile as possible, and if it already exists that would save me lots of time :D

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

27 August 2008 at 11:03am

Some other notes - I'm also looking at things like defining a time scale/relative measure so you can start doing complex things like differentiating/integrating over a value, and perhaps putting it out there as a better method for creating marker filter functions, etc.