Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

How easily can SS be used for this?

Go to End

3 Posts   1242 Views

sprbck

Community Member, 2 Posts

27 August 2008 at 3:33pm

Hi,

I'm searching for a nice combo of CMS/Framework, and SS definitely feels like a great possibility.

I'm wondering if it can do stuff like this:

- seamless translation of relationships on the forms (e.g. one HTML drop-down menu selection wll change content of a secundary drop-down, with or without AJAX)

- easy creation of a drag-and-drop sorting interface for custom data grids (e.g. have a "position" column on a table to define in which order those data rows are presented on the website)

This is not regular CMS stuff, but I find this kind of things pop up a lot on projects, so I'm interesting in knowing how well/easy the application allows to implement this.

TIA for any input.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

27 August 2008 at 3:48pm

Is this for inside the CMS or for the Front end? Drag and drop and all the js effects like this would be quite challenging in the CMS (but we have it with the widgets) as it uses a old version of prototype so you might just need to play around with that if you have used prototype before doing drag and drop and auto selection / complete should be straight forward.

There's nothing out of the box that handles drag and drop but if you look at how the WidgetArea works that should be a start.

If you need it on the front end eg then its a bit easier as you have flexiblity over whatever JS framework you want to write / integrate drag and drop with. By default you have access to prototype but most of us prefer jQuery so have been using that more and more for front end effects, AJAX but you could try out MooTools etc.

sprbck

Community Member, 2 Posts

27 August 2008 at 4:50pm

All this for the CMS, as it would all be related with CRUD forms for custom data tables.

I believe some frameworks with ORM allow easy integration of sorting interfaces on auto-generated CRUD forms, just by looking at specific conventions on the model.

Other than that, I have implemented this before with custom code and some JS lib, so I won't be totally lost, but it would be nice to see a easy way to have this on the CMS.