Next week I'll be working on the forum module - testing some new additions I made ages ago and possibly implementing some new ones. I'd like to know what people would like to see in the next version of the forum. Currently, there seems to be a lot of differences between our forum and <every other forum out there>. Some of these I believe are better, and some just seem odd and out of place.
IIRC, the forum was initially created for a client of SilverStripe, and thus it has some client-specific features inside it which would probably be better moved outside of the core module...
At any rate, what would you like to see added/changed/removed, and are there any specific bugs that need to be fixed that you've noticed?
One thing I just noticed - sometimes when editing a post and returning to the thread listing, your original post is displayed (aka either SilverStripe or the browser is caching it). You need to refresh to see the updated content.
Sorry if I stepping into restricted territory (core team discussions) :)
Here are some of my suggestions I'd love to have in new Forum module
* Ability to view posts made since my last login or else recent posts irrespective of the category.
* Member only categories (I guess you'd be guessing to lock core team discussion category only for core team members :) )
* Can we view the whole user list ? I see the recent registered users but not the whole user list
* How about allowing Textile formatting or some HTML for forum posts?
* Increasing security by optionally setting moderator(s) to a particular discussion which will get an email of the post and then can decide if the post is shown or not.
* The user rating system is not really modifiable, this will need to be changed so you can add and remove them.
* Email sent to new user with username and password when they first log in?
laktek: The reason it's here is so everyone can comment on it and add ideas. Otherwise, it would be posted on our internal wiki or some other hidden place :)
Regarding your Textile idea - I've implemented some BBCode Parsing, but there's nothing to stop Textile parsing as well. Most other forums use BBCode instead of Textile, so that's why I implemented that one. Contributions are most welcome though :)
Moreover, I have done some other changes in the CMS part so that, in the security part, you can see the forum member details, save them and export them.
See the following files :
- _config.php in the up module (trunk)
- MemberTableField.php in the cms module (branches 2.0up) : Here the most important change I have done is to change the $data_class value. But it's for the up website. Of course, this change has to be done now from the Forum module.
So the purpose here is to improve the link between Member and ForumMember in the CMS.
If you have some questions about my changes, ask me !