Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Publishing my website on the server??

Go to End

17 Posts   41078 Views

Pallas Athena

Community Member, 18 Posts

5 September 2008 at 11:00pm

PLease help me, a totally beginner at hardware etc.. I have made a website with the help og Silverstripe and I tried to publish it on my webhotel. But nothing happens! Am I suppose to do something else? The address is www.lokka.se if that is to any help..

Pixel

Community Member, 78 Posts

5 September 2008 at 11:10pm

Have you put all of the files into the httpdocs folder, including the invisible .htaccess?
Also have you added your database to the server?

Pallas Athena

6 September 2008 at 1:16am

I just uploaded all the files in my Silverstripe-folder with the help of a ftp-program. I have an database made through the webhost, but I don´t know how to connect it to the Silverstripe site? Should I place the files in the www-folder or at the top?
Thanks for your help.. :-?

Pixel

6 September 2008 at 2:21am

Edited: 06/09/2008 2:25am

Ok, is the .htaccess file uploaded aswell? You probably wont be able to see it through a ftp but if you can log into your server control panel, choose the domain that the files are in and click on files then navigate to the htdocs - you should be able to see it there.

If there is not one, then you will need to show hidden files on your computer, locate the local site folders (ie the one built offline) and you will be able to see the .htaccess file, open this up in any word processor and copy the contents.

Next back in your server admin panel you want to create a new file in the files folder, call it .htaccess and paste the content into it and then save the new file.

Once that is done, you need to export the files that are inside your sites database from your local server WAMP/MAMP onto your desktop.
Then back in your servers admin you want to create a new database with the same name, user and password as your local site, select the database and then import the file that is on your desktop.

Visit your sites url, run a db/build?flush=1 and then your site should be there

Blackdog

Community Member, 156 Posts

6 September 2008 at 2:41am

another thing to watch out for with your htaccess file is that it is pointing to the right folder.

if you have developed the site locally you might find the htaccess file which was generated on the install does not suit your server.

Take a look for the following line in the htaccess file and make sure it is correct.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /path/to/your/root/directory

more ftp clients will let you do some filtering to see files prefixed with a fullstop.

if you are on PC, SmartFTP shows them by default & Cuteftp will require you turn on the filter with -L-a under the server side filtering options.

Pixel

6 September 2008 at 2:50am

If your on a mac download this show/hide application

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22318

works a treat

Mishy

Community Member, 24 Posts

9 September 2008 at 12:31am

I have been having the same problems. I have sorted out the .htaccess file but not sure how to sort out the database problem. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pixel wrote:
"Ok, is the .htaccess file uploaded aswell? You probably wont be able to see it through a ftp but if you can log into your server control panel, choose the domain that the files are in and click on files then navigate to the htdocs - you should be able to see it there.

If there is not one, then you will need to show hidden files on your computer, locate the local site folders (ie the one built offline) and you will be able to see the .htaccess file, open this up in any word processor and copy the contents.

Next back in your server admin panel you want to create a new file in the files folder, call it .htaccess and paste the content into it and then save the new file.

Once that is done, you need to export the files that are inside your sites database from your local server WAMP/MAMP onto your desktop.
Then back in your servers admin you want to create a new database with the same name, user and password as your local site, select the database and then import the file that is on your desktop.

Visit your sites url, run a db/build?flush=1 and then your site should be there"

Pallas Athena

9 September 2008 at 1:03am

Edited: 09/09/2008 1:03am

I feel so stupid, but I´m stuck.. :-/ I sorted out the .htaccess-problem. But now then? How do I export the database-files? As usual in the ftp? Through my control panel I created a MySql-database. But it is not visible through the ftp? How do I do? PLease, help me!? Thank you so much!

Go to Top