Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Transfer Website from Webhost to Webhost/MAMP

Go to End

7 Posts   2838 Views

Macello

Community Member, 37 Posts

7 September 2008 at 7:16am

Hello Everybody, i'm happy to be here in the forum of that amazing CMS!

But i need help, to transfer the whole website to another server/host, but first i want to copy it to my Mac into MAMP.
I copied the whole folder of SilverStripe into htdocs in MAMP, and exported the Database out of the webhost, the code i Copy/Pasted in MAMP to create a new Database. Result was a clean white page, something must be there, it doesen't shows "site not found"

some informations: i put some files including "index.php and html" into a subfolder named temp, on the server and renamed "tutorial" into "swissfs" the site is still working well, as it didn't worked on MAMP, i moved the files back and renamed back, but no change, stite still doesn't appears.

Somebody please can tell me how to change the server of the site? after MAMP i will need to move the site to another host to.

Thanks already,

Macello

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

7 September 2008 at 11:33am

By Default MAMP ships with 16mb of PHP memory and SilverStripe needs at least 32mb. (I would recommend 64mb+). Make sure you can install SilverStripe on MAMP normally first by downloading a copy of ss and setting it up on mamp and see if everything works.

Failing that check your php_error.log file and see if there is anything in that

Macello

7 September 2008 at 11:20pm

Edited: 07/09/2008 11:41pm

Yes, i installed SS on MAMP already, everything is working great, so i thought i could import the files of the db on my host by draggin them into the htdocs folder of MAMP, so the .htacces file was copied too. the error i belive who causes the problem is, that MAMP gives me root as name, and on my server i needed to give another name for the db user, because root was already given.
In MAMP i added another user named same as the one on my host, but no changes, still the clear site. i tried to delete root, and only leave the new user, but then MAMP didn't worked anymore...

willr: i like the design of your site Andy Of Neiall alot!

Willr

8 September 2008 at 11:49am

Thanks!

If it just shows a white page then I doubt it is a database issue as SilverStripe should be able to pick that up and report it as being incorrect.

Next thing you could try to do is check the MAMP error logs in the /Appilcations/MAMP/logs/php_error.log file. That might give you a clue as to whats wrongs

Macello

15 September 2008 at 3:40am

Ok i think the problem is, that i am not able to download some files because serverside created files are under user apache, and i have no rights for them! why this? what can i do?

Willr

15 September 2008 at 2:58pm

so you need to change the permissions on files you downloaded to MAMP??

You can open up Terminal and type

- Go into your site by typing

cd /Location/of/your/files/

- Change the owner by typing

chown -R username . 

Macello

15 September 2008 at 6:42pm

No it isn't that simple, i can't even download them because the owner is the server of my webhost! it says, "Permission denied" Owner is "Apache".