Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

multiple installation on localhost

Go to End

7 Posts   2211 Views

Briohny

Community Member, 199 Posts

10 September 2008 at 3:11am

I'm new to SilverStripe and have to say... it's great! I have a site/project up and running perfectly on my localhost.

I now want to start a new site on my localhost. I'm not sure how i should be doing this? I tried to download SilverStripe again (renamed folder) and followed same instructions to install on wamp server however this messed up my first project.

If someone could clarify this for me.

Very much appreciated.

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

10 September 2008 at 3:58am

Welcome!

I don't know how WAMP works , but maybe the easiest solution would be to put the different Silverstripe installations in their own subdirectory in the webroot.

Briohny

10 September 2008 at 4:35am

Thanks Fuzz10. My current project is installed in /wamp/www/project1

I tried to install fresh silverstripe files into /wamp/www/project2

but this seemed to mess up my first project for some reason. After installation, it used the default blue template but picked up the content of my first project. Then my first site lost some of it's formatting.

Is this the correct method... and i did something wrong?
or
Am i trying to install into the incorrect directory?

Thanks again.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

10 September 2008 at 11:37am

Should work fine if you have them in separate folders eg projecta, projectb and you should also install them on different databases so if you make a change to the code in 1 it doesnt affect the other.

Briohny

11 September 2008 at 12:44am

Thanks Willr. How do i go about installing on different databases? When i initially installed Silverstripe it created it's own database automatically. Is this new database something that i can create an installation set-up of Silverstripe or do i configure it prior to installing?

Thanks again.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

11 September 2008 at 10:11am

When you run the installer it will ask for a database name. You can just make this a different value every time. Thats if you run the installer for each project.. If instead you just copied the files from 1 folder and pasted again in the new folder then you will need to edit the database config file - in /mysite/_config.php you need to edit the "database" => "MySite", string so that each project has a separate database.

Briohny

12 September 2008 at 9:33pm

Brilliant. Thanks Willr.