Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Newbie questions

Go to End

4 Posts   1596 Views

nbc

17 Posts

22 September 2008 at 3:47am

Hi,

I've just installed your software - I'm looking to rebuild my web site from the ground up.
Right now it is on an internal development machine, not attached to the web.

Software installed fine but I have some basic startup questions. I installed it with the default theme. System is running Fedora 9, Apache, MySQL and Firefox 3.

1) When I edit the home page and then publish it, I see the title that says 'Your Site Name' and 'Your site's tagline'. Where do I go to edit that information? Can I do that from within your framework or do I need to locate Page.ss and just use vi on it? I found Page.ss in
/SilverStripe/mysite/code/Page.ss but I'm not sure what is the correct way to modify that

2) I installed your software in /var/www/html/SilverStripe. So if a user wants to get to my home page - what exactly is the URL they should use? It looks like "localhost/SilverStripe/"
works - but without the trailing "/" it fails...

I'm just getting started here - these are probably dumb questions and as I read through the documentation I may find the answers myself - but if someone can jumpstart me here, I would really appreciate it...

Thanks in advance,

nbc

justjc51

Community Member, 23 Posts

22 September 2008 at 8:39pm

I'm quite sure you'll find it in the documentation, however as I'm sure it's bothering you as much as it was me the simple solution is to edit the themes\blackcandy\templates\page.ss(assuming you're using the basic theme, otherwise blackcandy has to be changed to the theme name) search for the text you want to change, in this case your site title.

Good luck with your site!

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

22 September 2008 at 8:52pm

1) Yes Current this is the correct way to edit theme files. It would be nice to make these options editable in the CMS or in the installer. dio5 has a good module which makes it so you set it via the CMS, the module download in this forum somewhere... hmm

2) You will need the trailing / for it to work. Im pretty sure SS's .htaccess adds a / to the url incase im not sure

nbc

17 Posts

22 September 2008 at 10:26pm

Thanks for the info - much appreciated...

nbc