Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

urls showing page hierarchy?

Go to End

18 Posts   8226 Views

elijahlofgren

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 222 Posts

30 June 2007 at 3:42am

> SilverStripe doesn't actually do that...I've managed to write a hack for it, but you'd have to be fairly keen - it's ugly and not tested in production yet.

Nathan, would you mind sharing your url hierarchy code? I'd be interested with playing with it as I would find url hierarchy very useful on my website.

Thanks,

Elijah

Nathan Cox

Community Member, 99 Posts

2 July 2007 at 1:33am

It's pretty ugly - as I say, I'd rather give it a good hard refactoring before I go out in public with on, but I'll try free up some time to send you all the bits it needs. Hopefully it helps you, and if you can improve on it everybody wins :)

elijahlofgren

2 July 2007 at 1:20pm

> It's pretty ugly - as I say, I'd rather give it a good hard refactoring before I go out in public with on, but I'll try free up some time to send you all the bits it needs. Hopefully it helps you, and if you can improve on it everybody wins :)

Thanks, I'd enjoy taking a stab at making it better because I have a rather large site that I'd like to move over to SilverStripe. :)

Nathan Cox

Community Member, 99 Posts

3 July 2007 at 9:41pm

Do you have an email address I can send the files to?

elijahlofgren

4 July 2007 at 4:49am

> Do you have an email address I can send the files to?

Yes: elijah (at) silverstripe.com

Thanks!

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

12 July 2007 at 12:29am

Edited: 12/07/2007 12:31am

I'd also like to "cast a vote" in favor of this feature. ;-)

We've been getting some heat on Silverstripe from a SEO company over here which absolutely wants the page hierarchy in the URL's. According to them it's very important for the Google crawler to work well.

Sam

Administrator, 690 Posts

14 July 2007 at 3:59pm

Another thing that will complicate this is the URL Rewriting: when you move or rename a page, all of the URLs get rewritten. Currently, that code is hardcoded to look to compare URLSegment to the first part of the URL before the /.

This is implemented in HTMLEditorField.

Design City

38 Posts

1 September 2007 at 10:13pm

Hate to be a pain since it seems like this is a difficult feature to impliment, but I think it's a really important feature.

Apart from any SEO that you may (or may not, depending on who you ask...) get by doing this, I like to show visitors where they are simply by looking at the address bar. Great for usability. It works like a set of breadcrumbs that are hardcoded into the website. If the address says www.mysite.com/corporate/announcements/important-announcement, then you can expect that going to www.mysite.com/corporate/announcements will take you back to the announcements page, and www.mysite.com/corporate will take you back to the corporate page. Something like www.mysite.com/important-announcement isn't as usable IMO.