Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

.ss issues

Go to End

4 Posts   1169 Views

Jon

Community Member, 2 Posts

24 October 2008 at 4:10pm

Hello Im sort of a newb,

I downloaded a theme and am modifying it. I understand css but cannot figure out why everytime I make a change to the .ss file my site goes blank. I haved tried ?flush=1. The reason I need to edit the .ss file is to get rid of the title and some <div> padding issues. Its not fixable by editing the layout.css

I can get it all to work and look right in firebug but how can I take that html code and put it into my page.ss file with out everything going haywire? Or is the page.ss file even the problem?

Thanks

BLU42 Media

Community Member, 71 Posts

24 October 2008 at 5:26pm

Hi Jon-

First, do you have your site in developer's mode? That can be a big help when working on your templates. If you don't, go to /mysite/_config.php and enter:

Director::set_environment_type('dev');

Second, can you post some code from your Page.ss file?

Thanks!

Jon

Community Member, 2 Posts

29 October 2008 at 4:45pm

Hey thanks for responding,

So when i entered that code over my existing code of :

Director::set_dev_servers(array(
'localhost',
'127.0.0.1',

and I got a blank browser... im guessing because im still trying to use the temporary server of silverstripe? maybe? I do have my own server space but Im struggling to get it to work, not sure if Im entering in the right mySQL database info on the config.html... what should that be?

Thanks again

BLU42 Media

Community Member, 71 Posts

29 October 2008 at 4:50pm

Hi Jon-

You'll want to include both pieces of code in the _config.php file, instead of replacing it.

The code you cleared out sets the development server, then set_environment_type to 'dev' will output errors to the browser.

If you have both pieces in there and it's still coming up blank, then it's most likely a problem with the template. If you could post your Page.ss file, I can take a look and maybe we can get that solved!

-John