Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Looking for basic installation information

Go to End

7 Posts   2233 Views

KatB

Community Member, 105 Posts

19 June 2007 at 1:49pm

The information architecture on this site has serious issues; it's almost impossible to work out. You would really benefit from use cases : someone with no site wants to install Silverstripe, someone with a static site wants to bring that into Silverstripe, someone who is on another CMS wants to move over to Silverstripe. See how your site works from their perspectives.

I currently have a static site I want to bring over to Silverstripe, but I need basic information (such as how to securely install the CMS).

As far as I can tell, the installation needs to occur in a public folder with high permissions ratings. To me, that is far from secure. How do I securely install Silverstripe?

If I install Silverstripe, do I immediately wipe out (some/all/none) of the contents already present, including the current .htaccess file?

On this page here, you say "visit the URL". Which URL is that? Is that set up in the folder-name/install.php page?
http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tutorial:1-building-a-basic-site

Does it matter whereabout in your directory system that you upload and install from? Does it need to be directly from 'www' ('html_public') or can it be higher?

Can you rename the extracted folder name from silverstripe-v2.0 to CMS without causing difficulty to the installation process?

Thanks

KatB

20 June 2007 at 1:17pm

What I have done so far is to set up a password protected area under the html_public folder, and done the installation there.

I have one problem left with the installation - PHP 5. The server I am have 4.4.2 installed by default but have access via a line in the .htaccess file (Action application/x-httpd-php5 /php5.fcgi)

Is this good enough to allow access to Silverstripe? The current installation page says no. Is there anything I can do about that?

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

20 June 2007 at 7:54pm

> The information architecture on this site has serious issues; it's almost impossible to work out. You would really benefit from use cases

agreed. its hard to cover both "company website" and "open-source portal" in one site. i'd opt for restructuring some information currently located in "community" and "download" into a new toplevel-entry "documentation". this makes for a more obvious start-point. what do you think?

>I have one problem left with the installation - PHP 5. The server I am have 4.4.2 installed by default but have access via a line in the .htaccess file (Action application/x-httpd-php5 /php5.fcgi)

switching your domain to php5 is required - can you run phpinfo() and make sure that the switch went through, and you see php 5.x.x as a versionnumber?

Nathan Cox

Community Member, 99 Posts

21 June 2007 at 11:11am

Did you guys ever consider splitting into two sites? Have a site for SilverStripe the company with services and portfolio and whatnot, and have a seperate SilverStripe-the-CMS community site for forums and documentation.
Then there might be room to present use-case based navigation from the home page - big buttons that say "Want to install SilverStripe?" or "Want to hack the hell out of SilverStripe?" - as well as more conventional menus for people who already know their way around.

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

22 June 2007 at 6:19pm

Good ideas, thanks guys.

Did Ingo's help get you to install SilverStripe?

KatB

26 June 2007 at 4:12pm

Edited: 26/06/2007 5:46pm

It feels like I take two steps forwards and one step back.

The PHP5 thing was correct, and that has now been fixed. Everything looked OKish so I pressed the install button, only to be halted due to:

mod_rewrite doesn't appear to be working. Make sure:

* mod_rewrite is enabled in your httpd.conf
* AllowOverride is enabled for the current path.

Please check these options, then refresh this page.If you believe that your configuration is correct, click here to proceed anyway.
Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp/sess_3707bf6501c71321b3d7fdd0bff04736, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

I think I am already using mod_rewrite because I already use redirects (aren't they a part of mod_rewrite?) eg. ErrorDocument 403 http://www.domainName.com.au/error403.html

What is the recommended course of action at this point?

Edit: I have checked with the Server Admin and mod_rewrite is enabled.
Should I click where it says to 'proceed anyway'?

Edit: Yes. Apparently it is now successfully installed.

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

27 June 2007 at 10:42am

Great to hear it's working for you now :-)