Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Speed issues (WAMP, SS 2.2.3)

Go to End

fishe

Community Member, 42 Posts

15 November 2008 at 1:46pm

Just completed a fresh install of SS 2.2.3 on WAMP with Windows XP. Using Firefox 3.0.4. The computer is not very fast - 512mb RAM etc.

Given these conditions I would expect the admin panel of SS to be faster than it is. It takes around 12 seconds to switch between tabs (e.g. Site Content & Files and Images). While this as a number doesn't seem long, as we're all accustomed to broadband-enabled page loads of a few seconds this is a significant factor.

The strange thing is that the demo.silverstripe.com panel loads and functions in terms of changing tabs in about half the time as the panel running locally on my machine.

Is this normal behaviour? Does the server running SS really have to be quite highly spec'ed and preferably a *nix environ?

On a related note, in contrast to other posts on this forum, I have no significant speed problems with the text editor. That part is fine.

I have also played with installing XCache as a PHP module. It installs fine but I didn't really notice any difference. I don't fully understand how xcache works as well though in this scenario.

Is there anything else I can do to my local machine config? Maybe apache httpd.conf changes?
Or would I be better off just running the dev environment from a faster remote Linux box on dreamhost or something?