Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

External Feedreaders having trouble with Silverstripe RSS

Go to End

4 Posts   2382 Views

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

19 November 2008 at 9:24am

Edited: 19/11/2008 9:41am

Hi,

Is anyone on the core development team aware that EVERY blog you create in Silverstripe has an RSS problem whereby external feedreaders (My Yahoo, iGoogle, etc.) are not getting the latest posts? This is because these, and many other readers, read the XML *linearly*, instead of sorting the nodes by date, and since the Silverstripe Blog module always puts a new Blog Entry at the BOTTOM, instead of the TOP, this is a huge problem.

Can someone, ANYONE, please make it so that a NEW Blog Entry gets created at the TOP of the list, as it should be? Can I change the code somewhere to make this happen?!

Thanks,
Garrett

Anatol

126 Posts

19 November 2008 at 3:24pm

Hi,

I am not sure what version of the blog module you are using and if this is included in the version you can download through the Silverstripe module download page. I just checked a recent daily build and in the file /blog/code/BlogHolder.php is a function rss() which contains this line:

$children->sort('Date', 'DESC');

You could change this to either

$children->sort('Date', 'ASC');

or
$children->sort('ID', 'DESC');

Cheers!
Anatol

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

20 November 2008 at 10:21am

You. Are. The. KING. Thank you! Still, though, don't you think a new Blog Entry should be created at the top??

//Garrett

Ingo

Forum Moderator, 801 Posts

29 November 2008 at 10:06pm

> This is because these, and many other readers, read the XML *linearly*, instead of sorting the nodes by date,
Where do you get this information from? I don't think theres a "wrong way" of sorting feeds as far as feed readers are concerned. Even if they read linearly, they should get all items and compare with their internal caches.

Google Reader Technical Publishers FAQ doesn't mention anything about sort order:
http://www.google.com/support/reader/bin/topic.py?topic=12019

I agree that it should be easier to change the sort order if you feel so inclined.