Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

New Tool Bar Concept

Go to End

6 Posts   3950 Views

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

16 July 2007 at 2:46pm

Edited: 16/07/2007 2:51pm

Below is a new concept for the tool CMS tool bar.

The intent behind this update is to;

1) Make it more extensible (ie see how we've got the "language" tool bar, which may be shown on multilingual sites to let the author flip between languages)

2) Make the process of inserting complex things such as images, video, maps etc easier via a dedicated interface

3) Combine the "actions" with the rest of the buttons

Let me know what you guys think

Markus

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 152 Posts

17 July 2007 at 12:42am

Edited: 17/07/2007 12:46am

Hey Tim,

This looks great! I like the ribbon interface and it's a lot easier to work with than the classic menus for a newbie.

I would take this approach even a little bit further and integrate the current tabs (e.g. Content, Behavior, Reports, Access) in the new ribbon bar like Microsoft did it in Office so that all tasks and actions are grouped. For example all TinyMCE buttons are needed only in the Content tab...

I'm not sure but maybe we'll get problems since Microsoft doesn't allow to use it in Office-like applications... I'm not sure if they consider a thing like TinyMCE as such an application.

qhoxie

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 39 Posts

17 July 2007 at 5:32am

i like this concept a lot

the interface seems much more intuitive to me, which may be personal preference, but i think that new users especially will be more comfortable with it

laktek

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 76 Posts

17 July 2007 at 9:11am

Really likes this concept great for incorporating Flickr and YouTube galleries too.

Tim

Community Member, 201 Posts

17 July 2007 at 10:08am

Markus, interesting idea regarding integrating with the current tabs. I actually hadn't thought of this at all. Thinking about this some more however - I think you're on to something :P

I'll have a bit more of a think about this and put some concepts incorporating this idea in the next few days.

Markus

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 152 Posts

18 July 2007 at 1:05am

OK.. I have to do some refactoring before going to holidays.. so I'll look at your concepts in approx. 1 1/2 week and maybe I'll create also a little mockup then..

Maybe you have the time to investigate the licensing issues in the meantime (would be a pity to implement it and see then that we can't ship it due to legal restrictions)..