Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Adding images into the content

Go to End

7 Posts   2464 Views

KatB

Community Member, 105 Posts

23 July 2007 at 5:08pm

OK, I admit I'm useless.

Theoretically, to add images into the content through the CMS you click on the image that contains what resembles a tree (sorry if it isn't!) with grass and sky. This image is labeled 'Insert image'.

However, when I do that, I get a new area above the tabs labeled 'Content', 'Behaviour', 'Reports'. This new area contains a label 'Folder', a drop-down, followed directly by a text field. Under all that is a gray area that contains the labels '(Choose a folder above)' on the left hand side and 'Description' on the right hand side. Under that again is another label, 'Alignment/style', followed by a drop down with three choices: on the left with text wrapping around, on the right with text wrapping around, center

Upon clicking the drop-down that has 'Folder' as its associated label, it folds out and is completely blank. I cannot choose anything.

What should I do to insert an image?

What is the purpose of the text field following the folder drop down?

Thank you!:)

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

23 July 2007 at 8:26pm

First you have to upload the picture in the 'Files and Images' tab - http://help.silverstripe.com/files-and-images/

Step 2 is once you have uploaded the image go back to your page and click that 'insert image' button, click the folder were you uploaded the image and then a thumbnail strip of all the images in that folder should appear. Click the picture you want and it should insert it into your content! http://help.silverstripe.com/adding-a-graphic/

ScottiouS

Community Member, 54 Posts

24 July 2007 at 10:54am

Not sure if this is your problem KatB... but...
There does appear to be a problem with the insert/edit image dropdown when upgrading to ss 2.0.2b . The problem I have seen on two sites is that the dropdown does not display the root folder so you cannot select any files in that root folder.

To get around this add your files into sub-directories and then you will have a folder to select from the dropdown. Anyone else get this problem?

Cheers,

Scott.

elijahlofgren

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 222 Posts

24 July 2007 at 11:19am

> There does appear to be a problem with the insert/edit image dropdown when upgrading to ss 2.0.2b . The problem I have seen on two sites is that the dropdown does not display the root folder so you cannot select any files in that root folder.

> To get around this add your files into sub-directories and then you will have a folder to select from the dropdown. Anyone else get this problem?

I can confirm this here. I've noticed this on both the gsoc branch and SS 2.0.2b, I thought it was just always that way, I didn't realize it was a regression.

Does one of the dev team want to look into this?

ScottiouS

Community Member, 54 Posts

24 July 2007 at 11:36am

Actually you're right. It was like this in 2.0.1. Still it's a usability issue. Would be simpler if you could select assets root or not have the ability to put files in that folder.

KatB

Community Member, 105 Posts

24 July 2007 at 4:12pm

Thank you! :)

I just sort of assumed that Silverstripe could find image files already on the server, under the assets tab. Now that I think about it, it is kind of obvious I would need to tell the CMS about them.

It kinda works. The description is really alternative text isn't it?

How do I get rid of the border="0" in the code? Not the content code but the code that generates it?

Also, how do I choose a choice of 'none' for alignment/style?
Why are there all these <br />s being added and how do I remove them (from whatever it is that is generating them)?

elijahlofgren

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 222 Posts

1 August 2007 at 5:36am

> Actually you're right. It was like this in 2.0.1. Still it's a usability issue. Would be simpler if you could select assets root or not have the ability to put files in that folder.
I found a ticket about this Ticket #404 (new defect) - Inset Images: Can't select root folder