Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Page Titles

Go to End

18 Posts   7981 Views

Nathan Cox

Community Member, 99 Posts

2 August 2007 at 10:16am

Well, it's more of a bug fix than a hack - that's the way it was supposed to be done, it was just broken.

But you're right, there should be somewhere in the CMS to set/edit site-wide variables, like the site name, tag-lines etc. Maybe also setting default Meta-data that individual pages can append their keywords etc to. Clicking on the "Site Content" globe in the tree seems like a logical place to me.

Didn't I read somewhere that someone's working on a GUI for editing _config.php stuff?

Bandit

Community Member, 10 Posts

2 August 2007 at 11:32am

Sound good to me :)

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

2 August 2007 at 12:33pm

Edited: 02/08/2007 12:33pm

It's not always the optimal solution to move everything from _config.php to a GUI, especially one that your clients can access. ;-) (like letting them change the project code, which would be bad).

But you're right, ones that should be global like the name of the site could be accessed in the CMS directly, leaving the _config.php for more core configuration.

Cheers,
Sean

Nathan Cox

Community Member, 99 Posts

2 August 2007 at 12:38pm

Yeah, that was my thinking - you only want the GUI to be able to edit certain settings - namely those that the client should actually care about or have a reason to change. You'd probably want the developer to define what can and can't be set by the client.

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

2 August 2007 at 11:47pm

Sweet. :-)

Thanks Andy for adding this into the core.

Sean

Bandit

Community Member, 10 Posts

3 August 2007 at 1:19pm

Woot!

dio5

Community Member, 501 Posts

20 September 2007 at 12:57am

Any chance this still works in the new rc1?

I know I can set the title in the metatags tab, but I want what's done here: put the name of the site in front of the 'page' title.

I put this in my page.ss:

<title>$Title.XML - $SiteName</title>
$MetaTags(false)

and this in _config.php

global $SiteName;
$SiteName = "MySiteName";

But it doesn't seem to work...

Reflektera

49 Posts

20 September 2007 at 9:47am

I have the same problem as dio5, can't get that global thing to work. Any solution?