Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Theme Engine GUI

Go to End

6 Posts   1963 Views

23 Posts

5 August 2007 at 12:46am

For all the n00bs out there ( <-- BeefStake xD )
I think that a GUI for editing layouts and themes would me a welcome addition to SilverStripe's already already impressive arsenal.
I also realize how ever how difficult this would be to implement / code....
All I can say is cheers and 1000yrs of praise to whoever manages to code something like that.

Google Summer of Code Hacker, 76 Posts

5 August 2007 at 9:16am

I guess it's the job of all community designers out there to come up with custom themes where average users would use. And hacking a theme would only require some CSS knowledge and designing sense. So it's relatively easy process.

Read these two wiki articles to get some understanding how to handle themes :

23 Posts

5 August 2007 at 4:06pm

Edited: 07/08/2007 12:46am

It was not the realitive ease of designing that i was referring to..
The average qualified web designer is more than capable of designing a theme in CSS
I myself have only rudimentary knowledge of CSS and was able to modify the BlackCandy sufficiently for my needs, however I had several problems trying to modify the default template (more due to the inadequacies of my knowledge then it actually being hard) I think if there some tool to ease the pain of changing positions of theme elements and scaling.. so on and so forth...
that it would make this a more attractive choice for novice designers like myself.

Administrator, 690 Posts

8 August 2007 at 12:39pm

Perhaps using something like Dreamweaver to edit your .SS file would provide what you're looking for, BeekStake? There are a number of different WYSIWYG design tools, and I see no reason to re-invent the wheel.

Has anyone had much experience using WYSIWYG design tools to develop their SilverStripe templates? How well does it work? What kind of problems have you run into?

1 Post

11 August 2007 at 7:08am

How about making SilverStripe "compatible" with W3C's Amaya editor?

Just an idea...

2 Posts

2 October 2007 at 2:09am

Theming isnt that hard actually. You can just search for ready made theme and put in the required details.

Imagine if you decided to give your client SS as a solution. Wouldn't it be a nightmare if they want to change the themes themselves? We're looking at an illiterate HTML user.

Mambo/Joomla was like this before. Keep up the good work.