Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Font selection within the CMS?

Go to End

18 Posts   12410 Views

funkncreative

Community Member, 4 Posts

21 January 2008 at 7:55pm

What about having an extra stylesheet under /cms/css/ called extraStyles.css or something, and have SS detect that that stylesheet is there, and parse through it, then populate a dropdown field in the cms editor with the styles that are in that stylesheet. This way a site designer could specify specific styles that the user can apply to text, images etc etc.

I think it would be best to wrap a span around the selected text/element and apply the style to that element.

<span class="backLink"></span>
. Just like the Sig master said.

damsel

Community Member, 8 Posts

24 January 2008 at 3:17pm

Any ideas when/if this will be done? I'm having the same issue with a client and believe me, even limiting the choices to h1, h2, etc. users will still find a way to muck up the site. One of my sites had multiple styles applied to oblivion. In that particular case, the client simply wanted blue font and was trying everything to figure out how to get it.

It's better to give just a bit more flexibility, I mean it's supposed to be a help not a hinderance to productivity.

I will probably wind up moving to WordPress if it doesn't look like there will be an addition in the near future. I hate to do it, I think SS is an awesome product....but I can't have unhappy clients either :(

damsel

Community Member, 8 Posts

24 January 2008 at 3:22pm

I forgot to say that I do like the idea of being able to add styles and/or color picker.

I think my client would have been happy with just a color picker.

redking

43 Posts

2 March 2008 at 2:33pm

I strongly agree that content should be separate from presentation, which is one of the many things I love about SilverStripe. That being said, it would be sweet to be able to apply your pre-defined typographic CSS styling through the CMS. This way the integrity of the design does not get damaged, and the user still has some control over what styles they can apply to their content. I suppose even then someone could still really screw up the designs we spend so much time creating; however, you could always provide typographic-guidelines for clients to follow when updating or adding their own content. Anyhow, just my thoughts.
I hope something comes of this.

sarahk

Community Member, 46 Posts

5 August 2008 at 1:41pm

Sean, you're right but in the newsletter section you are far better to use brute force to set fonts, sizes and colours as not all email clients allow the use of styles.

Sorry to bump but this topic has caused me to lose hours as I try to find a solution.

sarahk

Community Member, 46 Posts

26 August 2008 at 12:25pm

ok, I lost the battle to get fonts and we've had to go with phpLists to get the newsletter ready in time...
but I now need to be able to apply a class to paragraphs so that there can be subtle differences. All still just p tags but with a class attached.
Any way I can do that?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

27 August 2008 at 3:34pm

No sadly. Unless you use the HTML Source and add the class manually. Short Coming of the current TinyMCE setup. Tho some of the guys got excited about the latest release of TinyMCE3 and using that in the CMS for 2.3 so you never know :)

OCO Pure

Community Member, 14 Posts

29 September 2008 at 6:13am

Edited: 29/09/2008 6:13am

Willr, this sounds to good to be true. I have tried to install a full version of TinyMCE on my own Silverstripe site, but it wasn`t working out at the end.
For those who admin the sites on their own, it should be possible to push a button to "unleash the power" of the full TinyMCE.

At the moment I am using the workaround that allowes me to use HTML code inside the editing fields.