Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Archive /

Our old forums are still available as a read-only archive.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo

Installing SilverStripe on 1&1

Go to End

3 Posts   4972 Views

manhog

2 Posts

29 August 2007 at 11:38pm

Edited: 29/08/2007 11:43pm

EDIT: D'oh! Just seen this thread! http://www.silverstripe.com/general-discussion/flat/1623. :)

Hello,

As I've just successfully installed SS 2.0.2b on 1&1's (Linux) Professional shared hosting package (See: http://www.1and1.co.uk.), I'd thought I'd share what I've learned.

MySQL:
1&1 supports both MySQL 4 and 5, and SS had no problems recognising the database once I'd input the correct details into the installation page.

PHP:
By default 1&1 serves PHP pages as PHP4. To get PHP pages served as PHP5 you need to add the following line to your .htaccess file:

AddType x-mapp-php5 .php

mod_rewrite:
After SS has run the installation script, it may give a warning that mod_rewrite is not working correctly. To fix this add the following line to your .htaccess file within the ### SILVERSTRIPE START ### block of code:

RewriteBase /

Finally, SS may complain that is does not have write permissions for your .htaccess file. We had this problem and could not figure out why SS was complaining when the file had permissions of 644.

We realised that the problem was related to the HTTP password protection that we had put on our 'test' installation directory.

To add HTTP password protection to the directory, we had to use 1&1's admin 'control panel' as it modifies an htpasswd file that we do not have permission to access, and also creates a new .htaccess file.

This meant that 1&1's superuser was the owner of the .htaccess file, not us.

The way we fixed this was to download the .htaccess file created by 1&1 by FTP to a local directory, delete the original .htaccess file and then upload it again from the local directory to the server. The .htaccess file was exactly the same, it's just that the 'owner' was now us, not 1&1.

This meant that SS was happy again and could modify the .htaccess file to its heart's content. Yaay!

Hope this is of use to other people.

All the best,
Alan.

Sigurd

Forum Moderator, 628 Posts

31 August 2007 at 4:20pm

Thanks for posting instructions like this ! :)

Bladeex1

3 Posts

8 September 2007 at 5:03am

Thanks and I did almost the same thing and I'm on 1&1 USA and having problems. I guess it's hit or miss. I didn't seem to have a password issue or the other issue you had but the CMS is not loading and I get a null object error in IE when loading the page.